Gear Talk > Camera Talk

D800E replaced by D4

<< < (2/8) > >>

Frank Fremerey:
The D500 will be more of your friend in nature photography than the D4.

Exceptional AF capability
Equivalent burst rate
Unique fifth gen color consitency over a huge range of light and ISO
phantastic MF through F6 ground glass
Equivalent ergonomics with grip.

2700 with grip
2400 after christmas

D4 audio recording capability is not in the D500. That is all.

John G:
Thank You
               A lot of good clear thoughts on this option.
               As I feel I can purchase the D4 for a small additional outlay to the funds raised by the sale of the D800E,
               and after reading and taking note of all of the offered comments, it would seem that to choose a D4 as a
               replacement for my D800E,  this can also be a potential future partner for the D500, is a valid option to
               consider.
               I think Frank hit the nail on the head, when considering the lenses I commonly use and the subjects I am
               drawn to.  Now I,m off, to go and find out all about F6 ground glass, oh me, oh my.   

David H. Hartman:
It seems to me selling the D800E to finance a D4 might be a mistake. The D4 might be a silver bullet. I'd want to think out just why I'd be giving up the D800E for the D4. Now if I were I'd be thinking about better high ISO. I wonder if saving for a D500 and then later a battery grip might be a better plan.

Dave

Frank Fremerey:
The D800E is a  very good camera. Utilize it to the max.

Bjørn said the thing about lenses an he is right.

Today I was thinking about alternatives, walking the beach:

The D500 was what I could afford together with the 300PF. I am really happy with that combination.

I can use this combination to explore unknown territory like sports and wildlife and I shot some amazing kite surfer
footage just for fun. No commercial pressure. See 366 days thread.

To get better results technically I would have to pay for and carry a D5 or D4s plus a 2.8/400 ...

I do not want this. This is a new field. I do not know if I will ever make any money with that topic
but I can still use the D500 and 300PF in my daily work.

So as long as photography is just an expensive hobby, get the best stuff you can afford.

A new lens or a workshop teaching the use of existing equipment better might be the better choice
than a downgrade from a D800 to a D4.

I shot nice sports pics with a D70 and a D600. Why? I booked a workshop 10 years ago with a friend who
shot Bundesliga at the time. He told me the essentials. It is not the camera. It is immersion with the subject.

Mongo:
John, Mongo had a D800. Then had opportunity through a friend to update to D800E for a couple of hundred dollars - so did so. Still own the D800E. In the interim, about a year and a half ago, there was a sale on new D4s models. So, Mongo bought a new D4s thinking it would be the thing to have that would please him. Well, it did and it didn't.

As a result, Mongo has kept both cameras because they do their best at different things.

the D4s is brilliant to use, great quality etc but in Mongo's mind is largely a studio camera OR one for full size macros or full size landscape etc. In short, it is no use and not a patch on the D800E when you need to seriously crop an image. Thus, for long wildlife shots, Mongo will always use the D800E in preference to the D4s unless he is right on top of the subject and little to no cropping is required.

The noise performance is not that great to write home about with either camera. Certainly not that different to each other in virtually all conditions Mongo has used them. So, that should not be a deciding factor.

If Mongo were you, he would seriously think about the predominant use you will have for the camera before making any decisions. Certainly, hire one for a weekend if possible and run it through the type of photography and conditions you would ordinarily encounter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version