Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

A Quick Look at Ming Thein’s New Post-Processing Suite

(1/10) > >>

Michael Erlewine:
Ming Thein has been my favorite photographer for some years now. We each are allowed to marvel at the work of at least one photographer’s work other than our own. Thein’s work is nothing like what I do, which may be why I like it. He is very technically competent, but something you can’t easily acquire is a good eye. He has that. Almost everything he shoots makes me realize and see the beauty that he sees, shot after shot. The ordinary is extraordinary in his eyes. I appreciate that.

As it turns out, Ming Thein is also very experienced in post-processing his photos, something I am not so good at. If you have read any of my stuff, you know I am all about the process of taking pictures, not so much in what we do with them later on. Well, that is changing.

Thein has published a series of video instructional videos in the last years, and I bought into two of them. And I learned a lot, but nothing compared to what I am about to share with you. He just came out with a new integrated system that works both in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Well, so I told myself, I don’t need any more instruction; I just need to concentrate on finishing up what I do.

Then, I began to read some comments from users who tried out this new system and I sensed that something was going on here I should be aware of. At $80 a pop, it is not that expensive, but I don’t like amassing tutorials, but, even so, I was intrigued and jumped in. Glad I did!

This is a series of many hours of instruction in post processing. And, like Thein points out, he really has come up with a clean, easy-to-learn, integrated system for finishing up photos. The fact that he finally gave Lightroom some attention drew me in, since that is what I know and use. However, all his Lightroom tutorial managed to point out to me is how great Photoshop is, great enough that I am switching over to processing in Photoshop. It is just way more elegant and useful. His new system works flawlessly in both Lightroom and Photoshop.

I am not connected to Ming Thein financially, but feel what he has done with his new system is so worthwhile (for me!) that I should tell some of you about it. The system is called “A3” and it is being featured just now on his blog, at this link.

https://blog.mingthein.com/

Thein also includes a wide range of carefully constructed camera profiles, including most of the cameras I use, and they are VERY good. In fact, not only is Ming Thein a wonderful photographer, he is a fine teacher and teaching me anything is tough. IMO, it is at least worth reading about his system. Let me know your thoughts if you try it out.

Andrea B.:
Thank you, Michael, for this comment and link.

I have always enjoyed Ming's work. He puts a lot of thought and care into his work and his teaching. I'm going to go check out this new A3. I certainly could use some refreshers in Lightroom & PS. Finding the time is usually the problem. "-)

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Andrea B. on August 12, 2016, 00:35:01 ---Thank you, Michael, for this comment and link.

I have always enjoyed Ming's work. He puts a lot of thought and care into his work and his teaching. I'm going to go check out this new A3. I certainly could use some refreshers in Lightroom & PS. Finding the time is usually the problem. "-)

--- End quote ---

Another thing I marveled at was how he used dodge, burn, and sponge. I could not repeat it, until I understand he was using a Wacom tablet and pen. I had to get one and, sure enough, the pen is way more subtle and the way he uses (and feathers it) is very, very helpful. This is obviously the way to go, if I want to learn to finish my photos so they look MUCH better.

Almass:
Ming Thein is another "Pay as you Talk" "reviewer" whose only credibility lies with newbies to photography.

His reviews are biased and his methods skewed to reach the conclusion of his objectives.

His post processing is one dimensional and his methods do not offer any.......but any...... fresh or new techniques.

Any person from The Philippines all the way up to Brazil can run rings around his processing.....or photography for that matter.

You, Michael, are underestimating yourself and your Art. Ming Thein does not even come close to your heels in photography.
You, my dear Sir, are a genuine artistic and non commercial person and he fills his website with his paid advertising reviews.

I would shake hands with you anytime and not one time with Ming Thein.......not even with an Asbestos glove.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Almass on August 12, 2016, 09:37:06 ---Ming Thein is another "Pay as you Talk" "reviewer" whose only credibility lies with newbies to photography.

His reviews are biased and his methods skewed to reach the conclusion of his objectives.

His post processing is one dimensional and his

methods do not offer any.......but any...... fresh or new techniques.

Any person from The Philippines all the way up to Brazil can run rings around his processing.....or photography for that matter.

You, Michael, are underestimating yourself and your Art. Ming Thein does not even come close to your heels in photography.
You, my dear Sir, are a genuine artistic and non commercial person and he fills his website with his paid advertising reviews.

I would shake hands with you anytime and not one time with Ming Thein.......not even with an Asbestos glove.

--- End quote ---

Well, I respectively disagree with you. I have eyes. It is true, Ming Thein, like Lloyd Chambers and others work to make a living by providing information on photography of interest to the rest of us, and it is a tough livelihood. For me, photography was always a passion, not a vocation. I made my living as an archivist of popular culture, documenting popular music, film, and other areas.

I have actually read and followed many of both MIng Thein's and Lloyd Chamber's (and Thom Hogan's) equipment reviews and all of them have been more than helpful, and Ming Thein's are totally free of subscription fees. And they are accurate IMO and for my needs. Of course, our own Bjørn Rørslett's lenswork was where I began and I have learned an enormous amount from Rørslett.

Ming Thein's new workflow happens to be very good, at least for me. As we say, "Different strokes for different folks," and the remedy or antidote for what ails each of us differs. As you can see, it is here that can differ and find our differences. We are finding our differences. 

Photo taken with the Nikon D810. Not sure which lens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version