Author Topic: A Jay came to visit  (Read 2046 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
A Jay came to visit
« on: June 24, 2015, 18:35:22 »
I should start by saying the technical quality of these images isn't as high as I'd like, but I am just so pleased that this bird has decided to start visiting our garden here in the UK.

I don't see them very often and when I do it's usually somewhere out in the country and away from habitation. This one seems to have followed the other birds (and squirrels) into our garden to raid the bird feeders.

Disclaimer - taken around 06:00 so although sun was up the garden was in deep shade. Also the bird spooked at the slightest noise so I had to take this through two layers of glass (each of which need cleaning). Final result with 300mm F4, plus TC1.4 D300 ISO800

Hope you like it - for those of you living elsewhere, is this a bird you've come across in your country?

Mike G

Re: A Jay came to visit
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 19:53:30 »
Colin, a super Jay, I occasionally get one in my Middlesex garden but as you say they are very easily spooked into doing a flyer. Sadly they are also mercilessly harassed by Magpies!  ;)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 20:48:23 »
he goes for the lilies it seems

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 21:05:47 »
Always exciting to capture a bird that is not commonly seen

I think if you add contrast to the bird the image looks significantly better
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 23:21:39 »
Hi Fons, actually he'd just taken a beakful of peanuts and was having a swig of water from the Lilly tub.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 23:26:11 »
I think if you add contrast to the bird the image looks significantly better

Thanks Armando, I will have a look at that.

Meanwhile here's one taken last Christmas Day (don't know if it was the same bird) again struggling with low light/higher ISO than my D300 was really comfy with

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:26 »
I realise I need to get some better images than these. Though I'm happy with the composition of the first one, it isn't sharp enough.

I may soon get the chance it seems. This morning I heard more squawking than usual from the garden and was surprised to see five Jays hopping around playfully! Not sure yet but we wonder if this might be two parents plus their offspring. They are very wary of unexpected movement or sound, plus unpredictable on when they visit, so it could take a while to take some more shots.

Well you may have had a point Fons. Today only one or two birds were feeding from the peanut feeder. One of the others sat on the tub and pecked & pulled at the lily flower for a while. I think it was just experimenting and wonder if it is yet to learn how to get its own peanuts.