Author Topic: Cityscape with a hollyhock  (Read 1165 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Cityscape with a hollyhock
« on: July 27, 2016, 00:42:51 »
D750, AF-S50/1.8G.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Cityscape with a hollyhock
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:55 »
very good graphics. you sure the colors belong this way? Interpretation or fidelity?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:21:01 »
Colours look all right (i.e., "natural")  to me, Frank ?

Besides, the colour expression of a photography is entirely up to the photographer's visions anyway.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:20:08 »
very good graphics. you sure the colors belong this way? Interpretation or fidelity?

Thanks for the comment, Frank and Bjørn!  In which way does it look questionable in terms of the color on your (assumingly) properly calibrated monitor?  I noticed that the JPEG file exported from CC2015.5 was rendered ever-so-slightly muted in my latest Firefox, compared to the rendition in Photo of Windows10.

I general, I try to adjust the images as true to my "memorized color" as possible without being too artificial.  When I took this picture, it started raining.  So the color temperature was quite high.

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:59:09 »
Akira, I like this photo, and the following discussion about colour is interesting.  In my own photos I often have difficulty rendering greens accurately (or in a way that is faithful to my recollection of the scene).  I have a tendency to "edit in" overly-yellow shades, which look wrong when I view the photo later.  I occasionally wonder if I have some mild form of red-green colour-blindness, which I believe is quite common in males.  Anyway, your image contains at least 5 distinct shades of green, which appear nicely and properly rendered on my screen!

Cheers,  John

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:50:23 »
John, thanks for kind comments.  And I'm glad you like my image.

I would agree that the controlling green (foliage color) is a bit tricky.  I suspect that the IR contamination can be part of the difficulty, even though the current IR-cut filters in front of the sensors are more efficient than the older ones.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:09 »
Human vision has its peak sensitivity in the green range of the spectrum. Thus we are able to discern a zillion of green hues. Probably important for a creature designed by nature for being out in the wild where our brains cannot prevent attacks from hungry predators. At least we can see the dangers lurking in the forests or in the grass.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 11:07:24 »
Bjørn, thanks for the reminder.  I notice that the green of the foliage is not necessarily as "pure" as we wish, but that should be how the nature is designed and how we are made to perceive it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 12:19:16 »
Looks right to me ;) Nice shot

Human vision has its peak sensitivity in the green range of the spectrum. Thus we are able to discern a zillion of green hues. Probably important for a creature designed by nature for being out in the wild where our brains cannot prevent attacks from hungry predators. At least we can see the dangers lurking in the forests or in the grass.
Also why the Bayer filter has twice the nuber of green sesor sites compared to red and blue,,, so it's actually more like a RGGB filter
Erik Lund