Author Topic: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced  (Read 76665 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: AF-S Nikkor 105/1.4E to be announced
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:07 »
Bjørn, the first image in the immediately previous post looks VERY familiar.  Is that the same location you used when you tested D70, D2H, D200 etc. for UV/IR sensitivity tests for the reviews in your classic website?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2016, 03:43:44 »
Yes. The very same lake and scenic landscape. This is my neighbourhood here in Oslo. Yet, I can get downtown to the city centre in 15 minutes by bus.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2016, 18:21:18 »
I was curious to learn whether the 105/1.4E could operate with extension. Of course it does, just don't fall for the myth that 'extension doesn't impact quality  because there is no glass inside'.

The inescapable fact is that any extension added to a lens not designed for this will adversely impact quality. The 105/1.4E isn't designed for extension and its quality certainly suffer. Now, the more interesting points are how much quality is lost, and how can one control the aperture of the 'E' lens?

Extension adds the expected spherical aberration causing some veiling and lowering of contrast, but changes in field curvature were not dramatic. These are good news as the veiling can be used to create dream-like images, and contrast can be boosted to some extent later. Being able to stop down would also improve contrast and cut back on the spherical aberration. To this end, one either needs an extension tube with pass-through contacts (Kenko or similar; alternatively, butcher an 'E'-type TC and remove the glass inside), or utilising the dirty trick described in the next paragraph.

The cheap approach is using any F-mount extension, for example, an M- or E-ring as they have a maximum clear opening inside. Before adding the extension, conduct the following steps with the lens on camera: To put the aperture at the wanted setting, dial the number in from the camera, press the depth-of-field preview and at the same time, push the unlock button to detach the lens. The aperture will now  be 'frozen' at the specified f-number. Add extension to the lens and put it back on the same or another camera. Fire away.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2016, 19:13:47 »
We should have a tips and tricks section :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2016, 19:27:46 »
Consider the whole site a tips and tricks section ;)
Erik Lund

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2016, 19:51:31 »
I was curious to learn whether the 105/1.4E could operate with extension. Of course it does, just don't fall for the myth that 'extension doesn't impact quality  because there is no glass inside'.

The inescapable fact is that any extension added to a lens not designed for this will adversely impact quality. The 105/1.4E isn't designed for extension and its quality certainly suffer. Now, the more interesting points are how much quality is lost, and how can one control the aperture of the 'E' lens?

Extension adds the expected spherical aberration causing some veiling and lowering of contrast, but changes in field curvature were not dramatic. These are good news as the veiling can be used to create dream-like images, and contrast can be boosted to some extent later. Being able to stop down would also improve contrast and cut back on the spherical aberration. To this end, one either needs an extension tube with pass-through contacts (Kenko or similar; alternatively, butcher an 'E'-type TC and remove the glass inside), or utilising the dirty trick described in the next paragraph.

The cheap approach is using any F-mount extension, for example, an M- or E-ring as they have a maximum clear opening inside. Before adding the extension, conduct the following steps with the lens on camera: To put the aperture at the wanted setting, dial the number in from the camera, press the depth-of-field preview and at the same time, push the unlock button to detach the lens. The aperture will now  be 'frozen' at the specified f-number. Add extension to the lens and put it back on the same or another camera. Fire away.
.    Correct, indeed! Out of questions!  LZ

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2016, 20:51:45 »
Being able to stop down would also improve contrast and cut back on the spherical aberration. To this end, one either needs an extension tube with pass-through contacts (Kenko or similar; alternatively, butcher an 'E'-type TC and remove the glass inside)

Does any of them have big enough opening for this lens, or are the trick with the Nikon tubes actually the only workable alternative?
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2016, 21:12:25 »
The Kenko tubes are infamous for their narrow internal opening. They very likely will vignette severely with the 105.

I have made a dedicated solution for an E2/CPU at present and will gather experience using this before other alternatives are sought.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2016, 21:51:09 »
Kenko/Tokina makes No.2 and No.3 achromatic (1G2L) closeup lenses up to 77mm diameter and No.1 - 3 single-element closeup lenses up to 82mm.  Also, Canon makes achromatic 500D closeup lenses up to 77mm.

Bjørn's original lens review says that you can use Nikon 5T (or 6T) on AF 85/1.4 D without vignetting.  So, chances could be that you can use a 77mm one on 105/1.4E at least without vignetting...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2016, 19:45:12 »

Good to know.
Canon EF lens users have been using a similar method for many years, when a dedicated, aperture-controlling adapter/mount isn't available, such as mounting a Canon still lens on a video camera..
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2016, 20:25:45 »
Good to hear the new 105mm is an excellent lens.  I will likely own a copy someday.  How is the field curvature?
-Tristin

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2016, 18:58:22 »
My take on the new 105mm AFS 1.4 - Very nice lens indeed! In all aspects, renders in the same class as Noct-Nikkor and APO Lanthar color transitions and sharpness vise

_EGL6452 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr

Here 'compared' to the old workhorse 180mm AF-D 2.8 - That aparently holds up well even close to the min focus distance,,,

_EGL6455 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2016, 20:09:23 »
I will NOT buy this lens (I did not have sex with that woman)!

All the hype about this lens is true as can be clearly seen from my image  8)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Almass

« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2016, 20:22:05 »
I will NOT buy this lens (I did not have sex with that woman)!

.....and you did not inhale  ;D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2016, 20:53:12 »
... How is the field curvature?

Practically non-existing.