Author Topic: PN-11 Extension Tube  (Read 10007 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
PN-11 Extension Tube
« on: July 09, 2016, 15:46:24 »
Hello
       I have a question about the PN-11. I intend on purchasing one very soon as part of building the equipment to start taking more dedicated macro images.
       I intend on coupling this to a 105mm f2.8 as my go to kit. Whilst searching out a 105mm I would like to use the PN-11 on a few of my other lenses.
       I am looking for a few pointers on how to extract the best from a PN-11, whilst coupled to a 105mm f2.8 ais as well as the 200mm f4 and 85mm f1.4,
       if there are any other favoured combinations I would be happy to hear of theseas well.
       I started to attempt macro in the past year using a 50mm f1.8D reverse mounted on a 200mm f4 ais.
       I have been attending YOGA to learn controlled breathing, to overcome the difficulties of dealing with a cigarette paper thin FOV.  :)  :)   

John Gallagher

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: PN-11 Extension Tube
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 16:40:16 »
The PN-11 is a perfect match for the 105/4 micro-nikkor, as then you can reach 1:1 magnification.
I have used it with pleasure coupled to other lenses such as the 200/4 AiS, 300/4.5 AiS, 180/2.8 AiS, 85/1.4 AF-D, Heligon 100/1.6, and even with the 45P but then the magnification is HUGE :)
Yoga is something we all need I guess  ::)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 20:21:34 »
Not much complicated about the PN-11. You'll notice that the PN-11 has a tripod mount on it.  The tripod mount is for when you get tired of blurred hand-held shots. 
But seriously, if you are outdoors, wind is the enemy, tripod or not. 
First, try all your lenses with everything locked down:  camera on tripod with an immovable subject. This way, you'll be able to get an idea what each lens is capable of, picture quality-wise, when it's used on the tube.
If shooting handheld and outdoors where wind and body shake are factors, one very nice thing about today's modern cameras is that you can rapidly make several(or many) exposures, thereby increasing the odds that one of the shots will have been timed just right, at the point where the wind has momentarily calmed and subject movement has ceased, while simultaneously catching the short moment where your heart beat generated body movement has stopped, all while holding your breath.
If it is me, I'm usually kneeling on sharp-edged gravel or embedded rocks while wearing short pants, so a romantic element of torture..."anything to get the shot"... is added.  All great fun.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 02:05:43 »
The PN-11 is a perfect match for the 105/4 micro-nikkor, as then you can reach 1:1 magnification.
I have used it with pleasure coupled to other lenses such as the 200/4 AiS, 300/4.5 AiS, 180/2.8 AiS, 85/1.4 AF-D, Heligon 100/1.6, and even with the 45P but then the magnification is HUGE :)
Yoga is something we all need I guess  ::)

I could use a chiropractor more then a Yoga instructor

I found that the 200mm f4 Nikkor-Q.C is significantly sharper then the 200 f4 Ai-S when used with tubes lik ethe PK-13 and the PN-11.
The 135mm f3,5 Nikkor-Q.C also works really well
The 80-200 f4 Ai-S Zoom Nikkor works well with a PK-13 or PN-11
Buddy

bjornthun

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:49:29 »
For the PN-11 you need an Arca Swiss plate with a risen tab, that will prevent it from twisting when tripod mounted. This since the PN-11 has a very small surface mating with the plate.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:34:40 »
... or just run a second screw through the plate into the tripod mounting base.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:19:11 »
Another vote for an A-S plate for the foot of PN-11.  RRS 5A plate is the best.  The plate is discontinued but well worth looking for.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John G

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:47 »
Hello and Thank you
                               This is a excellent set of guidelines more than I expected and very motivational for me.
                               I have a set of lenses I can start with on the arrival of the PN-11.                   
                               I will need to give some thought on how to include a tripod into some of my subject pursuits, for a while now I,ve
                               been pondering the idea of utilising kit already owned, the Manfrotto 393 Gimbal Head suspended from a upside down
                               centre column was going to be a method to be tried, due to it being able to achieve a rigid multi positioning, with very
                               quick tracking capabilities.
                               This would temporarily omit the need for a AS or RRS base plate, does this sound acceptable ?                                 
                               I have passed my initiation on " getting down and dirty " there has been many
                               occasions when a Bramble Bush, Nettle Bed, Thistles, or Gorse have been treated mentally as a welcoming                   
                               barrier. The legs in the shorts and the whispered expletives tell the truth of how we are welcomed.   
John Gallagher

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:57:42 »
John, the reason for us to recommend an A-S plate is, as bjornthun noted, that the foot of the tripod collar on PN11 is so small that there will not be enough friction to keep it in place, no matter how strongly you tighten the 1/4 screw, regardless of the type of the tripod head.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:54 »
I have a small Manfrotto ballhead (234RC) with  a release plate which fits the PN-11 perfect. I use that ballhead also on  a Feisal monopod.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 09:13:19 »
Been there and done that.  ;D ;D  ;D

John, down the track it might be a good idea to keep an eye on Ebay, and pick up an extra PN-11 or two when they are not too expensive.  Then you might add a CPU chip to a PN-11 that can be dedicated to the lens that you use most with a PN-11 and keep the other PN-11(s) for the rest of the lens(es) you use in conjunction with a PN-11.

Hello and Thank you
                               This is a excellent set of guidelines more than I expected and very motivational for me.
                             ................................................................                                 
                               I have passed my initiation on " getting down and dirty " there has been many
                               occasions when a Bramble Bush, Nettle Bed, Thistles, or Gorse have been treated mentally as a welcoming                   
                               barrier. The legs in the shorts and the whispered expletives tell the truth of how we are welcomed.

Hugh Gunn

John G

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 15:21:17 »
Hello and more Thank you's
                                         I have dug out a Sirui G-20 Ball Head with a Sirui quick release plate on it. I would be happy to modify this
                                         plate to work with a extra screw for improved stability if needed.
                                         It seems I am narrow minded on the 393 Gimbal and have offered the ball head to it as a secondary
                                         attachment and it looks like it will work, when the Gimbal is being suspended from a centre column. I like the
                                         idea of how quickly the Gimbal can be repositioned. If after use I feel it is a valuable contribution, I will post a
                                         few images of it in operation.
                                         As for collecting camera lens accessories at a discounted price, that is very muck me. The idea of Multiple
                                         PN-11's and adding a CPU chip is pure Belgium Chocolate.
                                         l am learning about these CPU chips daily, as I have one in a recently purchased 500mm f4 AIP.
                                         I had used two Dandelion chips in a 300mm f2.8, both have been destroyed due to being fragile. 
                                         The intention is to create the same performance of the 500mm in the 300mm. I have started a discussion on
                                         this.
                                          What are the advantages of having a PN-11 CPU chipped with a non CPU chipped ais lens ?
                                          Will a non CPU chipped ais lens offer focus trap if coupled to a CPU chipped PN-11 ?

John Gallagher

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 15:43:00 »
Hanging anything down from a reversed centre column can only be awkward in handling and unstable as a camera platform. You need a tripod that can readily splay its legs fully to the side and perhaps even beyond that.

The CPU in an extension ring will act as a proxy on behalf of its hosted lens. As long as there is a continues chain of aperture levers from camera to host lens, all is well. For the utmost accuracy, however, here as elsewhere setting the aperture on the lens is the preferred mode of operation.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 21:14:29 »
Though not generally for downward-looking shots, don't forget the possible use of a sandbag, backpack, Steadibag(a pillow filled with plastic beads...much lighter than sand!), or other soft device to keep the camera motionless or nearly motionless while in the field and near the ground.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 21:30:04 »
       I intend on coupling this to a 105mm f2.8 as my go to kit. Whilst searching out a 105mm I would like to use the PN-11 on a few of my other lenses.

Assuming the 105/2.8 is a 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor that lens uses close range correction to maintain a flat field when focused close. If one uses the 105/2.8 AIS Micro on a PN-11 when the lens is focused towards what would be infinity without the PN-11 the CRC group will be in or near the infinity position and not in the close focus position. If a PN-11 is used with the lens in this position the CRC group will be in the wrong position for best results. For better results one can use a Nikon PK-12 then a PK-13 tube and finally a PN-11 tube to obtain an image scale from 0.5x to 1.0x (1:2 to 1:1).

If using a PN-11 for image ratios of 1:2x to 1:1 Nikon has a scale in orange marked "PN" and suggested apertures, e.g. 11 ~ 32, 5.6 ~ 32, 4 ~ 32 ...

---

The paragraph below is a good example of bad writing and loose logic. I'll try again in a post on the next page.  :-[

I use a Wimberley P-10 Acra-Swiss type plate to give a larger surface area when on a tripod. It has anti-swivel tabs as most plates have. It also accepts Kirkphoto's older macro flash arms.

I made block for using a PN-11 with my fat 105/4.0 AI Micro-Nikkor. Here is a photo...

Please click image for a larger view.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!