Author Topic: New ZEISS industrial lenses  (Read 2450 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: New ZEISS industrial lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:00 »
Apparently they are for the factory automation for which Nikon F mount is the standard.  Pentax also makes F-mount 50mm and 35mm lenses for the purpose under Cosmicar brand name.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 08:19:11 »
I've always liked the idea of having a focus lock.  It should be built into most lenses.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:35:09 »
I've always liked the idea of having a focus lock.  It should be built into most lenses.

I agree.  I'm not sure of your use of a focus lock.  But, for example, I want to lock the focus whenever I do panos.

Also, (though this is a bit off-topic) my problem with the current AF-S primes is that you cannot disable MF (the focus select switch only offers M and M/A), and the focus ring is wider, so it is easy to touch the focus ring to mess up the focus done by AF.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:52 »
3 years ago I bought an "unknown Nikon lens" which was in fact a 105/1.8 modified to provide focus lock and focus click. I was a bit perplexed by its use case, even more so when the seller told me he got it from a fashion photographer. Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in your use case.

Sorry for being off topic, Klaus.
Bruno Schröder

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 20:05:09 »
I can see the usefulness of a focus lock in several scenarios.
With a handheld wide angle lens for zone focusing, especially in crowd situations where the focus can easily be bumped-off from where I set it.
In a landscape setup where the focus is set and now just waiting for changing light, clouds, etc.
Any locked-off  setup where an accidental brush of the hand against the lens barrel could knock the focus off.
Panos, as Akira has mentioned. 
Close-up setups (like slide duping) using bellows or extension tubes, where the lens barrel is not used for focusing due to the close range. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 21:39:02 »
3 years ago I bought an "unknown Nikon lens" which was in fact a 105/1.8 modified to provide focus lock and focus click. I was a bit perplexed by its use case, even more so when the seller told me he got it from a fashion photographer. Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in your use case.

Sorry for being off topic, Klaus.

I think that lens deserves it's own thread!
-Tristin

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:55 »
A wedding photographer in New York featured in American Photographer magazine had his lenses for his Hasselblad 500/CM all locked with set screws at a 7 foot focus (2.1 meters). He simply stood 7' (2.1m) from his subjects and shot (focus with you feet). He carried two of each lens he needed and two or more bodies.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 17:34:16 »
I enjoy that function, my UV Nikkor 105mm has that, too
formerly known as kds315