Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117456 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:45 »
D70 from an early Food Jobs (I was Novice then):

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2016, 10:13:54 »
I just bought a used D300S in order to have a newer camera.

Does this mean my D300s isn't obsolete?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Geomiljo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 14:29:58 »
My D200 still works OK, but I don´t really use it due to IMO poor performance compared to the D700. I decided however to use it for some documentation work a month ago, as a kind of  "ten year anniversary"! It did the job I suppose. Images were used in my report. But where it really loses compared to the D700 is images of soil profiles.

For me, the D200 became obsolete the same moment I got the D700 back in the summer of 2008, at the age of two (got it May 2006)!

The D700 on the other hand, 8 years old now, I do not think of as obsolete, and still use a lot, since it is very much "good enough" for what I do. But of course, when I want the best possible image, the D800E is a little (sometimes a lot) nicer, especially when printing large...

From now on my D200 will probably just be used for sensor cleaning training!

/Johan

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 15:37:28 »
For many, the sensor and AF system of the D3 was a game changer.  Then along came the D700 with the same sensor and AF system at less than half the cost and what a game changer it proved to be.

I also purchased my D700 new in 2008 and still use it.  It really did exceed my expectations.  Athough I now have other weapons in my armoury, it is still a great all rounder.  Superceded yes, but not obsolete IMHO.  YMMV.
Hugh Gunn

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2016, 07:22:57 »
All my D200 cameras have been modified one way or other. I think there have at least been five different units over the years. Some have been sold off, some given away. I have just two left.

The D200 had an excellent performance at low ISO, true. This is a winter scene at nightfall, shot with the D200 and the 300 mm f/2.8 AFS.  From my initial review shooting with the D200.
#1 that as well it's my backup camera my main obsolete is my D700, nothing wrong with what it puts out for me..

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:01 »
Currently I very often use my D700, after I had to give D750 to Nikon Service due to Shutter problems.
According to Nikon they still wait for spare parts from Japan. So this will be a longer "intermezzo".

The D700 RAWs need much less pp handling than those of the D750.
The D700 still does the job very well. Nevertheless somehow the D750 very quickly set it back to a back up role.
Picture from last weekend will follow shortly.
Guenther Something

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2016, 10:14:15 »
The River Waal image is almost a identical landscape to the region I live in at this time of year..
Beautiful Big Skies, Large expanses of water filling the flood plains, broken roads.
The elements when volatile will be brutal, best to keep a vehicle close by. Been caught out more than a few times when out with the dogs.
My D80 is a few years gone, so I will not be able to contribute a image, non production bodies would give more scope, coupled with non production lenses.
John Gallagher

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 10:22:01 »
A few pics - camera/ lense details included in EXIFs & file names.

Just a bit of sharpening and playing with the "camera colour profiles" in LR:
Guenther Something

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 11:09:08 »
D90; here with its kit lens i.e. 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6.  Picture taken at ISO 3'200; 120mm f/5.3 1/40s
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 15:59:24 »
Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
And does it show?

If you define obsolete as "no longer produced; out of date", every camera I own is obsolete, and every camera I use gives a different look to the shot.

I doubt that swapping a Nikon D810 for my D800 would make a lot of difference.  On the other hand, I'd expect some improvement by replacing my V1 with a different EVIL camera, and the limits of my Coolpix 995 are clearly visible.  As for film cameras, I suppose there are some incremental improvements in automation available, but I doubt any viewer would attribute any differences to the camera.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 16:56:56 »
I am using cameras way longer than the manufacturers replacement cycles
My first digital SLR was the D200 (lens compatibility) is in the reserve now, would not make sense to sell it off, is a potential replacement for the other D200 that is modified for wide spectrum. Still waiting to test it against the D300 at low ISO whether i can confirm what was frequently posted here and in the old NG site.
The D700 is the one I have made the most shots with and kept its practical value for a long time, and still can do a lot of jobs. Its in the second line as I have got newer and better bodies now, but still giving use to it from time to time. I dont use it for action any more (as originally together with the D300 and MB-D10), as it lost itscompetitiveness.
The D300 was bought as companion for the D700 for Supertele body with crop factor and became a travel camera after the D800E had replaced it in its original field.
Both D700 and D300 are on standby for uses where there is higher risk and I dont want to take care that much.
Wolfgang Rehm

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2016, 19:01:33 »
I don't believe in obsolete.
Unless it can't be repaired or lack of available parts.
I had a Fuji Finepix point and shoot digital with a 2mp sensor (long dead) that produced some of the finest detailed close up images, its close to being obsolete due to the flash card Fuji designed for it..
I had two D200 bodies before I bought my D700, I kept one for my back up to me it's not at all obsolete it's like the Ford Ranger of cameras.

My feeling is If it produces an acceptable image it is still in the heard, I also believe 75% is in the lens quality and 25% the photographer holding the camera.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2016, 00:43:41 »
Confucious say:  "The best camera is the one that you have with you."

(Well I don't know for sure that it was he that said so, but the quote has been around for a while!)
Hugh Gunn

bjornthun

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2016, 01:26:55 »
Another old wisdom is that a camera gets no worse, once a new model is launched. (Maybe not as old as Confusius, though. :) )

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
When time isn't a factor...
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2016, 23:09:36 »
my 2004 Full Frame, 13.5mp, Kodak SLR/n really does an excellent job at base ISO. The people who designed it put a ton of effort to make digital look like film. It's a huge slow moving slug to work with, but then again.......so am I.
 8)

(And for what it's worth....it's stamped "Made In USA.")