Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117392 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #270 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:37 »
I still miss my two D3's...they were real battle wagons.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2018, 09:34:02 »
I thought I was finished with this M/S but I ran out of 0.3mm shims so I wasn't able to shim the mount properly  :o :o :o

it's super smooth now. This was released in 1950/1951 but I still enjoy using these.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2018, 13:02:54 »
I don't think any film cameras will be obsolete unless there is no film for them...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2018, 16:19:22 »
Akira, you have made the most intelligent, unbiassed comment on this topic. And even if all photo chemicals are unavailable, there will still be coffee and other home grown developing fluids!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2018, 16:22:19 »
well, fuji just killed Natura and Acros is on its way.  :o :o :o

2 of my favourite films!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2018, 00:18:40 »
Akira, you have made the most intelligent, unbiassed comment on this topic. And even if all photo chemicals are unavailable, there will still be coffee and other home grown developing fluids!

And there is albumen prints.  Long live chickens!  :D

Seriously, I consider the films, especially color negatives and B&W ones, are important artistic "matière" like oil color, watercolor, sumi ink, etc.  So, I don't want them gone forever.

well, fuji just killed Natura and Acros is on its way.  :o :o :o

2 of my favourite films!

Yeah, that is sad.  I went to Nisshin-Camera in Akihabara the other day, and realized they sell only up to three rolls of 36exp Natura per a customer.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2018, 10:48:08 »
My primary camera is a Fuji XT-1. I suppose this is obsolete now. Funnily, I can still make good pictures with it.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2018, 22:14:09 »
And there is albumen prints.  Long live chickens!  :D

Seriously, I consider the films, especially color negatives and B&W ones, are important artistic "matière" like oil color, watercolor, sumi ink, etc.  So, I don't want them gone forever.

sometimes things that are gone see a cult-revival, like Polaroid films
Wolfgang Rehm

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2018, 16:30:05 »
Yes I do. :)
D2x on regular base. D1H & D1x once and a while.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2018, 16:51:25 »
In practice all of our cameras are obsolete from no later than the moment that they first reach the camera store shelves, for it is around this time that their successors start to be designed and developed - if not sooner. 

(Ditto for just about all technology IMHO.)
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2018, 16:57:00 »
Obsolete means "no longer in use or useful".

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #281 on: October 01, 2018, 17:00:29 »
Obsolete means "no longer in use or useful".

Which, of course, is a contradiction in terms.

Better to think as something being discontinued from production and thus no longer readily available, usually because the manufacturers deem the new models being superior.

Amongst my cameras, the Df is still current although production might have ceased. The workhorse UV camera is D3200, which of course was discontinued years ago. My IR cameras, D5300, D200, and D40x, are all discontinued too. The Fuji S5Pro is so old people tend to forget it ever existed. Some might remember the Panasonic GH2, which I use for UV video.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2018, 18:05:56 »
Which, of course, is a contradiction in terms.

Not at all, it is the correct primary meaning of the term "obsolete".

"a  : no longer in use or no longer useful

b : of a kind or style no longer current"

Better to think as something being discontinued from production and thus no longer readily available, usually because the manufacturers deem the new models being superior.

I think such usage began because people who think having the latest gear is necessary (or people who have financial gains to be made from others thinking that way) started calling discontinued products obsolete because they want to promote this kind of thinking. Probably for monetary gain, or their self-worth is tied to having the latest gear.

When the D3X for example cannot be used because no batteries are available that would make it work, or because no CF cards exists any more which would permit the files to be stored and transferred to computer, or if the file formats used are not readable by any software in current operating systems, then it would be obsolete.

I don't want to argue about semantics, really. But I reject the idea that discontinued products should be called obsolete, because it is misleading and leads to the kind of thinking which will destroy this planet, through unnecessary industrial production and consumption.

Paul.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #283 on: December 31, 2018, 05:10:06 »
I have spent a couple of days admiring all the wonderful photographs in this thread. A lot of talent here. I have no such experience or talent but thought I would contribute with a D2h picture I grabbed at the end of a snow storm last winter. The lens was a 35mm F1.8. As of now, it is the only camera I have so it meets the obsolete requirements.

Paul

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2019, 05:58:55 »
This thread is fun to look through!  I really enjoyed the quote about a camera's performance not worsening due to the release of a newer model. 

I had two cameras die this fall: a D70 and a Panasonic Lumix TZ5.  I replaced the D70 with a D750.  After reading through this thread, I just replaced the little Lumix with...     a D200.   ;D

I know it's a magnitude larger and heavier but I hope its rugged build will make it a good "bang around" camera that i'll be more apt to take out in the boat, etc.  And at $100 USD, it was cheaper than a new point-and-shoot.  I thought about how happy I had been with my D70 (my reluctant and tentative entry into digital) and decided that I could certainly be happy with images from a D200.

Long live the obsolete camera! (My "obsolete" F2S, F3HP and F4s are ready to try some new Ektachrome.)  If my purchase experience is good with the D200, I'm thinking that I'll likely start looking for the next obsolete bargain to add to the camera shelf.

Stay sharp,
Bob