Author Topic: L-plate for D40x?  (Read 5914 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
L-plate for D40x?
« on: June 29, 2016, 21:35:26 »
Yes, for a D40x. An old D40x is on the way back to me after being IR modified. When I got the shipping notification, it hit me that I don't have any L-plate for similar for it, which means I can't use my tripod with it. Since this "project" is supposed to be as cheap as possible, I don't really want to spend $125 on a RRS L-plate. They do have a "multi camera conventional plate too and it's much cheaper: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BP-CS-Multi-camera-conventional-plate
I might simply go with the multi camera plate, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone got a suggestion for cheaper options, particularly in Denmark or the EU?
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: L-plate for D40x?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 22:00:57 »
The RRS brackets are high quality and correspondingly priced.

I always try to recycle the L-brackets from earlier cameras before purchasing any new ones.

For an ever cheaper approach, try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-Shape-Bracket-Universal-Quick-Release-Plate-For-Nikon-Canon-Sony-Pentax-/322119700928

Merco_61

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Peter Sundstedt Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 22:07:09 »
Peter Sundstedt

—Machina fotografica necesse est—

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 22:22:15 »
Do check these plates really are Arca-compatible. This, unfortunately, is not always the case. If the plate is [a little] broader than the minimum, no big problem, but variation in the opposite direction is unacceptable.

I have seen both aspects over the years.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 22:29:15 »
Thanks for the quick replies. My GoogleFoo was clearly not strong enough today. I have ordered that very cheap one. It might very well be crap, but it's so cheap it's worth a try.

RRS makes high quality for sure, I had one for my D700. I use a Markins for my D750, it's pretty good too.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 22:33:45 »
These Chinese knock-offs tend to contain genuine metal .... the machining and finish can be on the rough side though, but nothing a small file or sanding paper cannot fix. I have accumulated a few over the years for the odd cameras not deemed worthy of a high-end RRS solution.

Do post your impression on this L-bracket, it might be of interest to other members of our community.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 22:52:37 »
D40X is an obsolete camera.  So, you may be able to find a dedicated L-bracket, even an RRS one, cheaply on ebay as second hand.  Good luck!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 23:10:57 »
Not 'obsolete', just not a contemporary model. We tend to be blinded by the so-called progress and forget about the inherent qualities of the yesterday's gear.

I'm still using one of them for IR and it delivers excellent quality for my purposes.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 02:45:10 »
Bjørn, by "obsolete", I meant that the model has long been removed from Nikon's lineup, not that the camera has long been useless.  I often saw the used L-brackets for D200 sold on ebay fairly often, hence my post.

I can still smile at my older images taken with D2H or D40, to name Nikon cameras, and am still amazed by the images taken with D200 posted here every once in a while by our fellow subscribers.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 06:32:48 »
I thought that was your attitude, Akira. Now we all know.

It is still difficult to find a proper replacement for my Fuji S3Pro UVIR Limited Edition (2006).

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 07:04:31 »
Bjørn: I'll report my findings when it finally arrives: Estimated delivery Wednesday, 13. Jul. 2016 - Friday, 5. Aug. 2016.

Akira: That was my first thought. There must be someone selling an old L-plate on Ebay, but I couldn't find any.
Jørgen Ramskov

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 07:20:48 »
It is still difficult to find a proper replacement for my Fuji S3Pro UVIR Limited Edition (2006).

Yes, some camera has its "character" which is difficult to replace.  I sometimes look for a mint Nikon body with a CCD sensor.  :)

Akira: That was my first thought. There must be someone selling an old L-plate on Ebay, but I couldn't find any.

Jørgen, I suspected you had done that.  After I had posted my previous comments, I looked into ebay and the result was just like you described.  The users of entry models are less likely to need L-brackets than the ones of higher grade models.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 07:27:16 »
Or they could be 'recycled'. I'm using a modified D40/40x* L-bracket on my Nikon D5300 (IR). A Dremel is your best friendly helper.

*Plus on D40X and Panasonics. As long as there is solid metal, you can alter the screw positions.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 14:11:42 »
So far I have had good experiences with my Chinese made iShoot brand of L-Brackets for both Olympus & Nikon cameras.  The one for my Olympus OMD E-M1 is particularly well done.  Finish and the fit to the Arca Swiss dovetails has been very good for all examples (including D810, DF, D700, and D200).
Hugh Gunn

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 17:48:29 »
Thanks Hugh. It seems they have a universal model that should fit: http://photoloving.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_82&product_id=456&limit=100
Jørgen Ramskov