Author Topic: Cracked my D750's body :-/  (Read 6733 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Cracked my D750's body :-/
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:24:01 »
Dropped from 1m to concrete, caused a crack near the menu button down along the seam to the corner below.  Camera worked fine for a couple hours of shooting, then menu button got stuck in the depressed position.  Now menu navigation is impossible.  Any opinions or heads up on ballpark repair figures is appreciated.

-Tristin

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Cracked my D750's body :-/
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:44 »
Sorry to read this. I hope you're insured.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:18 »

If only the external shell is cracked, and the internal chassis is still good, it'll be repairable.  My guess:  Several hundred ($400+) US dollars at Nikon.  I recommend walking it in to the Nikon service in L.A. if possible.  One good thing is that a substantial amount of the internal chassis of the D750 body is polycarbonate, which can flex and recover when whacked.  My D800's, in comparison, have an all[or mostly all]-metal chassis, which has been shown to be somewhat fragile.  I miss my old D3 for it's heavy-duty battle-wagon body.   Now is a good time to think about having a spare body.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:28:07 »
Ouch!  Sorry for your disappointment.  The lower left part of the rear panel is also cracked.

The conventional models had the rear panels with the LCD screens glued to them and they had to be replaced with the LCD altogether, which would result in an expensive repair.  On the other hand, the rear panel of D750 is simply a piece of magnesium.  So, the replacement would be much simpler and cheaper, I hope.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:30:12 »
Pluton, my income is not sufficient to have multiple bodies :-/

Akira, the LCD damage is actually a layer of protective glass that is cracked and was done previously.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 06:33:31 »
Akira, the LCD damage is actually a layer of protective glass that is cracked and was done previously.

Sorry to hear that, again.  Didn't you use a camera strap?

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:38:23 »
Yeah, it was a stupid accident. 
-Tristin

stenrasmussen

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:37 »
Provided the bayonet/mirror/sensor are still aligned and otherwise ok this is easily fixable. To replace the rear panel is no big operation. If you can get the part you ought to be able to fix this yourself. Look for a D750 with water damage or order the part from Nikon. The other, safer solution is to let Nikon service it.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:20 »
Sorry to hear that Tristin. If the damage doesnt affect any alignement, af performance or otherwise shooting with the camera, I would use some high viskose glue to fill the crack and move on. Araldite would do the trick. I once glued together a rifle, that I happened to be under the wheels of my car :o It had a polycarbonate stock and it still serves me well. If you are on a tight budget and not able to get it fixed, I am sure many of us could chip in to help a NG fellow. After all you entertain us with some pretty good images for free :)

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 07:56:03 »
Thanks all, I am hoping I can get the menu button unstuck so I can use some superglue and keep chuggin along.  Anyone have tips on dealing with the stuck button?

Børge, thanks for the care.  Been in a rough patch lately, but hope to be sharing images on a regular basis again soon. :-)
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:02:49 »
Anyone have tips on dealing with the stuck button?

How about using a piece of strong tape like duct tape to stick onto the stuck menu button and pull up?

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:08 »
Tristin, sorry to hear about your misfortune.  The first thing I would try is using one of my Watch Maker tiny screw drivers to see if I could unstick the button.  I have no idea what the  button looks like from the inside of the rear cover but it may just be jammed at an angle.  I am not brave enough to start taking the camera apart.  There is also a screw just below the WIFI symbol.  I do not know if taking that out would give you enough play to open just that corner to get a small screwdriver in( lever) in.

I would just send it to my friendly service center if I could not get the button to function, but I have multiple cameras to use.
Best of luck
Edit: Just read Akira's reply.  Worth a try.  I did check my D750 and there is enough space to get my smallest screw driver down the side of the button.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 13:51:29 »
Yeah, it was a stupid accident.

Most are it would seem. I rolled a Rollei 80/2.8 Xenotar off my lap while installing a neck strap. I don't think one can do much worse. The damage was cosmetic and limited to the waist level viewfinder. I was very lucky.

I hope the camera is repairable at not too painful a price. I'd let Nikon give you an estimate.

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 15:55:32 »
Ouch...

I dropped mine when changing the strap and it is not a feeling I would like for anyone. I was luckier than you.

I will second a nikon official estimate as a good starting point. Just have mine send to replace top part -flash commander not working properly, now perfect and af recall also fixed- they were fast.
   I wish for a speedy, easy, happy and cheap solution.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 16:57:01 »
Tristan - commiserations.

I am sure that all on this site will join with Paco in wishing you a "speedy, easy, happy and cheap solution" for your D750.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The closest that I have come to dropping a camera was when I dropped my near new OMD E-M1 on my foot - discovered swiftly that the camera was indeed made of metal.  It was OK, but the foot hurt for ages.  Also sufferred one fall and wrote off a Nikon 28-300mm lens, but the insurance covered most of the replacement.  With the best care in the world these calamities can still happen.

Ouch...

...................................................................................................

I wish for a speedy, easy, happy and cheap solution.
Hugh Gunn