Author Topic: Win 7 or Win 10  (Read 4910 times)

zuglufttier

Re: Win 7 or Win 10
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:14:25 »
Windows interface dumbed down? It used to be that way since forever :D

If you want something else, use some linux derivate and install a window manager of your liking and use the shell to configure literally everything on your system. By the way, the command line now is an integral part of the windows operating system and let's you configure pretty much everything. Actually, newer windows versions are less dumbed down than windows xp and the likes.

If I ever need something special in windows 10, I just fire up the control panel which looks and feels the same as with windows 7. To open programs, I just hit the windows key and start typing: It doesn't get much more comfortable and faster (using an SSD) than that.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 11:13:34 »
Tristin:

I use the command line for shortcuts.

Just right click on the new "Start" button on the lower left corner and hit "run" or "cmd" for things that are not in the path and in cmd you still got the option to run it as Administrator.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:47 »
Put a link to the .exe on the desktop and assign a hot key to it. Much much faster.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 18:48:45 »
Yup, I share your frustration, Airy.  :(

Airy/Akira
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

I did some of these suggestions and my Win10 is much much more responsive. I also found logging in as local user rather than as online user sped things up too. Seems that Microsoft does report home a lot.

Akira - my old DAS (original Sonar) and input Boss GS10 (has nice fat analogue sounding ADC) is not supported with Win 10. What do you use with Cubase?

JJ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 19:34:41 »
Airy/Akira
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

I did some of these suggestions and my Win10 is much much more responsive. I also found logging in as local user rather than as online user sped things up too. Seems that Microsoft does report home a lot.

Akira - my old DAS (original Sonar) and input Boss GS10 (has nice fat analogue sounding ADC) is not supported with Win 10. What do you use with Cubase?

JJ, thanks for the advice.  I don't use OneDrive, but make sure of my settings.

As for the audio interface, I use MOTU Audio Express which also functions as the preamp for my audio system.  I'm going to use Cubase Pro (now the current 8.5) on my Mac Book Air, too.  The driver of Audio Express for Windows sucks (creates burst noises occasionally), but I don't use it in the critical situations (like the live recording or aurdio recording in the studio) and can live with it.

Sorry to know that neither the original Sonor and GS-10 don't work with Windows 10.  As with any software, they stop supporting it eventually.  I found GS-10 driver for 64bit Windows 7.  Doesn't it work on Windows 10?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 21:22:24 »
I always used Lexicon interfaces with Win and have had no issues.  Giving Focusrite a spin, they will be releasing Win drivers for their Thunderbolt interface soon, which I eagerly await!
-Tristin

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 18:48:50 »
JJ, thanks for the advice.  I don't use OneDrive, but make sure of my settings.

Sorry to know that neither the original Sonor and GS-10 don't work with Windows 10.  As with any software, they stop supporting it eventually.  I found GS-10 driver for 64bit Windows 7.  Doesn't it work on Windows 10?

Akira you're right! I hadn't looked as it wasn't around when I first went Windows 7!
Now which DAW....

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 20:59:23 »
I am very happy with Win 10 here.  For a high resolution screen, the display will scale much better.   On newer hardware Win 10 supports secure boot which prevents many types of malware attacks.   

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 17:32:56 »
Win 10 supports secure boot which prevents many types of malware attacks.

Hi Ron, can you advise how you find this useful in practice?