Author Topic: How to Store TIFF Images  (Read 4577 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
How to Store TIFF Images
« on: July 06, 2016, 17:14:00 »
I am not asking how to store TIFF versions, for example, of NEF files, but stacked images that are combined to create a single final TIFF file. How to store this particular stacked images for long-term storage. And the question is, should this TIFF files be stored in ProPhoto RGB color space, since that is the highest I have at this time?

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: How to Store TIFF Images
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 17:23:05 »
Long-term storage has to consider the volume of data likely to be required before any decision is taken whether to rely on in-house solutions, or external facilities. For up to approx. 100 TB one can build in-house solutions using NAS (networked attached storage devices) in some kind of RAID configuration. However, do not underestimate the need for maintenance and additional backups required.

How necessary is the storage of these TIFs seen in a perspective of years? If they can be regenerated from RAW files, it is better to store the RAW material and drop the intermediate TIFs once an edited PSD is established. Save the final version (PSD or TIF, whatever your work flow ends with) instead. This strategy will drastically cut down on the storage requirements as well.

The colour space question is easy: always select the widest possible for files that will be edited later.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 17:31:59 »
I am attempting to save all of the raw files too, but they add up to lots of space and they have to have sidecar files because I do NOT trust Adobe Lightrooms's catalog system, as I have learned.

Still remaining is my question of what color space to stores this stacked images that are now TIFFs. Is ProPhoto RGB probably a safe bet?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 18:32:51 »
Prophoto RGB is my choice.

NEFs are smaller than TIFs thus I'm not understanding your dilemma.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 18:59:50 »
Prophoto RGB is my choice.

NEFs are smaller than TIFs thus I'm not understanding your dilemma.

The dilemma is, since I combine dozens of NEFs through focus-stacking into a single TIFF that is in ProPhoto RGB in Lightroom/Photoshop, I now have to decide how to long-term store these TIFF (stacked results) so that in the future, someone could look at them and then export them as JPGs, etc. -- whatever

I am just trying to make sure there is no better way to preserve the stacked image in the best color space.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 19:23:04 »
Keep the NEFs and the recipe how to get the final result. That is how I do with all my stacking or stitching projects. PTGui makes a descriptor file that one can run again later. Thus I only need to keep the relevant NEFs (and their processing information, in sidecar files) to be able to redo any project later. The TIFs involved are stored on a scratch disk that is cleared every now and then.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 19:32:34 »
Keep the NEFs and the recipe how to get the final result. That is how I do with all my stacking or stitching projects. PTGui makes a descriptor file that one can run again later. Thus I only need to keep the relevant NEFs (and their processing information, in sidecar files) to be able to redo any project later. The TIFs involved are stored on a scratch disk that is cleared every now and then.

I also keep all of the NEFs, but with long focus stacks, that can be 100 or more layers and with pixel-shift in the new Pentax K1, the file size is like 150 MB for each layer, so it adds up. At the same time, I want to preserve my finished TIFF files, since in my recent health crises, it was very clear to me that there will come a time, and not that long, when someone else has to deal with the many hundreds of thousands of images that I have. Not many want to do that, so I would like to save the finished TIFFs in the best color space, ProPhoto RGB, so that at least the finished pieces could be utilizes, so that is what is bringing this consideration on.

John Koerner

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 17:36:46 »
I also keep all of the NEFs, but with long focus stacks, that can be 100 or more layers and with pixel-shift in the new Pentax K1, the file size is like 150 MB for each layer, so it adds up. At the same time, I want to preserve my finished TIFF files, since in my recent health crises, it was very clear to me that there will come a time, and not that long, when someone else has to deal with the many hundreds of thousands of images that I have. Not many want to do that, so I would like to save the finished TIFFs in the best color space, ProPhoto RGB, so that at least the finished pieces could be utilizes, so that is what is bringing this consideration on.

Once I create a stack, I save the layered stack as Master TIF file, and then I delete all of the raw images that comprised it (as the raw images only take up space and are useless individually).

I save the un-edited Master Tiff in the ProPhoto Color Space, in a special section of folders I create in my Photography directories (say a "Flower" folder, or folder to which the Master Image applies)

I *only* edit the Master TIF in layers (so I can un-do anything I don't like, later, even after saving, as layered TIFs can be un-layered ... whereas, if you edit/save and compress the layers, you can never un-do what you've done).

In fact, usually, I save any edits I've made as separate TIFs (e.g., Flower1.tif , Flower2.tif), always keeping my Master Tif clean and pure as-rendered from the original stack.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 19:43:56 »
This may be a little bit off subject, but in a recent investigation into storage options, I came across the 3 tiered storage option from Amazon,
the long term storage option using Amazon Glacier is very cost effective for large NEF folders.. Amazon seems to be going strong so a service from them seems trustworthy and secure.
John Gallagher

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 19:59:52 »
Every user can and should define their own priorities regarding what kind of files, and which ones, to store over time.

I can personally vouch for the usefulness of keeping the RAW files and thus be able to reprocess them later. That has saved my day many times when clients ask for more than the original TIFs could deliver. RAW conversion and other software are getting better over time and it is often possible to squeeze more out of an existing RAW than previously thought.

But as already stated, the decision is up to the individual. Just ensure there is a backup scheme underlying your storage plane and you should be just fine.

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 21:02:25 »
Every user can and should define their own priorities regarding what kind of files, and which ones, to store over time.

I can personally vouch for the usefulness of keeping the RAW files and thus be able to reprocess them later. That has saved my day many times when clients ask for more than the original TIFs could deliver. RAW conversion and other software are getting better over time and it is often possible to squeeze more out of an existing RAW than previously thought.

But as already stated, the decision is up to the individual. Just ensure there is a backup scheme underlying your storage plane and you should be just fine.

I agree with you on single images.

However, with stacks, it is not space effective (IMO) to save multiple raw files for the same image. A properly-rendered stack, exported in Pro Photo, and saved as a Pro Photo TIF, has enough data to be effectively manipulated. "Also" saving the 10-100 raw images that comprised the 1 Master TIF is superfluous IMO, especially if one does a lot of stack work.

For single images, though, I agree, and always save both RAW and Tif.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 21:46:40 »
I save the raw files because, and I have found this to be true, advances in stacking software (and my ability to retouch) make it more than worthwhile. A year or two later can produce a much better finished image.

John Koerner

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:51 »
Well, that is certainly true. Good point.

However, the flipside to that is advances in cameras also occur.

I have a lot of old stacks I did with my 7D ... and Lightroom is much better now than it was in 2011/2012 ... particularly in handling shadows and highlights ... but then so too are my cameras better.

Going back to tinker with an old stack, taken with an old camera, from scratch, seems less productive than just taking a new set of stacks with my current gear. At the end of the day, I would be wasting my time with images taken on an outdated sensor rather than trying to create something new and better with new and better equipment.

Unless it's an absolutely stellar image ... of a very rare find ... that I may never be able to see again ... I'd rather just make a new stack with my new gear than go back and start all over again with an old stack made with my old gear ... especially if I had hundreds of thousands of stacks.

But to each his own.