Author Topic: Lenses and techniques for close-ups  (Read 7082 times)

BillO

• NG Supporter
  • Cruising the US in a Motorhome
Re: Lenses and techniques for close-ups
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 03:53:27 »
I have three true "close-up" lenses acquired over time -- the 60mm/2.8 AFD micro, a 105mm/4.0 AiS micro with 1:1 extension and the 200mm/4.0 AFD micro.
I use all three depending on the circumstances, with the 200mm mostly for the slightly shy critters.

In addition, I have also found that certain lenses, together with a TC, make a good combination for close-ups of really shy critters.  Specifically, I've used the 300mm/4.0 AFS with either TC1.7 or TC2.0 to maintain the minimum focus distance while substantially increasing magnification.  Works well for larger butterflies and lizards.
Regards,
Bill Oliver

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 14:49:46 »
20121029-085 by 20121029-085-3 by longzoom, on Flickrflickr.com/photos/longzoom/]longzoom[/url], on Flickr.         My old Nikkor 105/2.8 at f8.0 on D800.  Crop. ISO 1600. Full EXIF on Flickr, if someone interesting to see most sharp image. Thanks!  LZ

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 16:54:12 »
Copy (2) of 1110a 158 by Copy of 1110a 158 by longzoom, on Flickrm/photos/longzoom/]longzoom[/url], on Flickr.      The same lens to middle distance, crop about 300%  - not the best ever seen, but fully acceptable, as for me, of course.  LZ

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 17:00:14 »
vac 06 071 - Copy by Copy of vac 06 071 - Copy by longzoom, on Flickrflickr.com/photos/longzoom/]longzoom[/url], on Flickr.   But this Sigma 70 is still working for me, even on the  old D2xs (not so good) sensor, with its limited DR.   Crop. LZ

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 04:28:26 »
My favoured setup for magnifications in the region of 1.5x life size is:

- AFD 105/2.8 micro.
- PN-11 with RRS B5 plate
- AI compatible camera (previously FM3a, now D600)
- Tripod and ball-head with Arca-Swiss clamp

The AFD 105 micro is preferred for this setup because it is compatible with the PN-11 (AFS G micros are not usable with the PN-11 or other Nikon extension tubes). The 105mm focal length setup gives a comfortable working distance for this magnification. A longer lens with more working distance will make it is harder to locate the small target in the viewfinder – unless you are lucky enough to have set up the camera pointed more or less directly at the subject and in focus, all you will see is an out of focus blur with little clue about which way to focus or move. A longer lens also requires more extension to achieve the same magnification which can become unwieldy.

The PN-11 is a large extension tube at 52.5mm (half 105mm). Therefore it is large enough to give a useful increase in magnification with the 105 micro. The magnifications that can be achieved range from 1:2 to about 1.7x life size. However I don’t recommend using this combination for magnifications less than 1:1 since the lens will be “focused” for longer distances and the optics won’t be well configured for macro shooting, resulting in field curvature and other aberrations.

When macro lenses with floating elements (CRC) such as the AFD 105 micro are used with extension tubes, best results are obtained when the lens is focused at or near to the close focus limit where the lens optics are optimally configured for macro photography. The general rule is to use the shortest extension tube to achieved the desired magnification, and rack the macro lens all the way out. So, for magnifications just beyond 1:1 I'll use the shorter PK-13 instead.

The PN-11 features a rotating tripod mount, which enables the camera to be supported nearer the centre of balance for improved stability and less stress on the lens/camera mounts. It also permits you to rotate the camera from horizontal to vertical, or anywhere between, while staying on target. Many macro subjects such as flowers look equally good in vertical and horizontal formats so this feature is very useful.

My PN-11 has an Arca-Swiss type RRS B5 quick release plate. It fits in the tripod in a fore-aft orientation which means the clamp can be used as a short focusing rail – once the tripod is in position and the lens is focused to more or less the desired magnification, focusing can be achieved by moving the whole system within the clamp. Critical focusing can then be completed by adjusting the focus ring without affecting the magnification or framing too much.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 20:37:07 »
My PN-11 has an Arca-Swiss type RRS B5 quick release plate. It fits in the tripod in a fore-aft orientation which means the clamp can be used as a short focusing rail – once the tripod is in position and the lens is focused to more or less the desired magnification, focusing can be achieved by moving the whole system within the clamp. Critical focusing can then be completed by adjusting the focus ring without affecting the magnification or framing too much.

I use a Wimberley C-30 Quick Release Clamp as a macro slider with a PN-11 or with a camera with a cross plate. The Wimberly C-30 is 107mm long and it's quite smooth for focusing. Wimberley announced they were discontinuing the C-30 and I wrote to them and asked them not too and explained my use of it. I see it's still available. I touch up with the focus ring as needed. I am totally sold on Arca-Swiss and love that I can interchange Wimberly, Really Right Stuff and Kirkphoto's accessories freely.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 19:32:44 »
20071209-Copy (2) of Copy of Copy of 1207 004-2 by 1207 004 by longzoom, on Flickrotos/longzoom/]longzoom[/url], on Flickr.     D3 and Sigma 70mm macro. Original and what I got after PS, for poetry book cover. It took me 10 min. to shoot and 3 hours to finish. THX!  LZ

stenrasmussen

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 19:41:51 »
Excellent processing there 👌🏾

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 19:45:42 »
Thank you so much, Sten! Yeah, editing was not fast nor easy... But if you know where to go...  THX!  LZ