Author Topic: Jagged Orbit - IR coastline  (Read 3398 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Jagged Orbit - IR coastline
« on: June 23, 2015, 15:57:34 »
Infrared photography is traditionally used for landscapes, as IR tends to make distant details better defined. On the other hand, you might, depending on your technique, get a lot of out-of-this-world colour frenzy as a kind of collateral damage.

Books might be written on how you address such issues and ultimately turn them into your advantage. This example portraying a sea-weed covered coastline at Jeløya, the Oslo Fjord,  came out pretty much as I wanted, but caused consternation for the pre-press editors when it was to be printed in a fine-arts book. Actually, the editors begged me to change the colours to make the photo more "manageable" in the limited CMYK gamut used for the printing press. After a good deal of back-and-forth debate, it was accepted as is, and came through beautifully.

Any connection to the works of a certain British writer is purely coincidental.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Jagged Orbit - IR coastline
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 18:16:45 »
Surreality. Is that how IR-sensitive eyes see or can we never know it?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 18:51:37 »
'Probably not' is the answer to both questions.

Do realise we are dealing with entirely false colours here. There is no 1:1 connection between the colours that show and any spectral property of that point.

On the other hand, why care? Most of the time IR comes across almost as bland and dull as life is itself most days. Once in a while you are overwhelmed by the inherent colouration that emerges. This makes IR shooting always irresistible and enjoyable.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 19:15:27 »
ye well you are going to have to explain that to me... :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 19:46:45 »
Having the opportunity to see your pictures is one good reason to be here for me, and there are many more (reasons)!
Thank you for everything.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 20:13:03 »
Thanks, Olivier.

However, as you probably are well aware of, NG is not about me, or any other particular person. This is not a "personal site" run by a single capricious owner looking for profit.  It is all about photography and living within a visual world of photography.

Everyone contributes what they can and all will benefit. Together, we all are Nikongear Revival.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 20:23:02 »
I totally agree, it is not and should not be a personal site and if you read my message again, I stated that there are many more reasons to come here.
But I am still happy to see your images...
and my name is Olivier!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 20:32:24 »
Oops, my reading skills need improvement :D

I'll correct your name at once. (Done)

I hope people will continue to post images and participate in friendly yet open-minded discussions. One of the reasons why the NG Team requires people to operate under their full name, is that the aggressive behaviour, so typical of the internet these days, declines when you known the identity of your opponent. It's at the very least a testable assumption.

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 22:15:14 »
Amazed the editors would want to change the colours, they literally make this image
leap out at me and force my eyes to explore!
Tony Oaten

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 22:36:53 »
They were worried that the image should be "impossible" to print due to the strong and saturated colours. CMYK printing is quite restrictive and in the early days of digital photography colour gamut issues were constant headaches in printing. Thanks to a competent pre-press guy it pulled nicely through in the end.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Member
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 14:20:13 »
Surreal.
Jørgen Ramskov

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 18:56:14 »
Ah, another familiar image which is one of my favorite, shot with D2H and Ais 20/3.5 in IR!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira