Author Topic: Caregiver and her charge  (Read 829 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Caregiver and her charge
« on: June 12, 2016, 17:06:42 »
Taken a few weeks ago in Edward's Gardens, a large park and botanical garden here in Toronto.
I noticed a woman carefully attending to an older woman. I approached them and struck up a conversation with the young woman who explained that she was the elderly lady's caregiver, rather than her daughter.
Her very tender attention to the old woman was so wonderful, I asked if I might take an informal portrait of the two, and she was kind enough to say yes.
motorized Nikon FA
Tokina ATX Pro 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
f4 @ 1/500th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: Caregiver and her charge
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 21:54:55 »
I love the (human) warmth of this image and the background story adds a key element to.

I'm not sure about the framing along the bottom. I feel I'd either like to see the complete wheelchair wheels, or maybe crop it somewhere along their shins.

And (in my imagination) after you'd taken this, the old lady looked up and said something! It looks like she has something she's chewing over in her head.

Well seen RBS.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Re: Caregiver and her charge
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:32:46 »
Colin,
Thanks for commenting.
I wasn't bothered by the cropped wheels because the feet were completely in frame and to me that was more important.
And no, the old woman didn't say anything, or indeed even look up. She seemed to be unaware of my presence when I was speaking to the caregiver, and I assumed from her expressionless demeanor that she suffered from senility.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.