Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Downsizing Challenge Part 2: The Siemen's Star

<< < (2/9) > >>

Andrea B.:
[LATER EDIT:  I replaced the 1000px resizes with 920px resizes for more useful matching with some later images.]

TEST:  Downsize the 7360 x 4912 px Siemen's Star to 1000px 920px width with no new sharpening after the downsize.

Photo 1 :: Capture NX2 downsize to 1000px 920px width with no new sharpening after downsize.
Photo 2 :: Photo Mechanic downsize to 1000px 920px width with no new sharpening after downsize.
Photo 3 :: Photoshop Elements 11 downsize to 1000px 920px width with no new sharpening after downsize.

CONCLUSION ::
On a Macbook Pro Retina screen, the downsize in Photo 3, made with PSE Bicubic Sharper, retains more center detail.
The downsizes made in NX2 and Photo Mechanic have both lost some center detail.
The Capture NX2 downsize is a bit better than the Photo Mechanic version.
Count the rings from the center to see that the NX2 downsize loses large amounts of detail in the first 3 rings,
while the PhoMechic downsize loses detail in the first 4-4.5 rings.

ADDED LATER:  Actually it is not center detail that we should worry about so much. We know we are going to lose center detail in this kind of star with tiny 1-pixel frequency detail. What happens in the slightly larger areas is what we want to look at I think.
Note :: Be sure to expand your browser so that you can view the full 1000 920 pixel width.
Right-click the photo and select View Image Info to verify this by checking that the displayed dimensions are 1000 x 667 px 920 x 614 px.

zuglufttier:
I really don't understand what you are trying to proof... There are differences in downsizing algorithms, true. But what else?

Btw: OS X just doubles every pixel on a retina screen on normal settings, it's the same as setting everything to 200% in Windows. You can do that with a lower resolution screen, too.

Andrea B.:
As stated, I have been unhappy with the downsizing of my D810 landscapes. None of the usual downsizing methods seem to work well for these big files. They turn out blocky or crunchy sometimes.

We all got to talking about it, Simone offered some help and so I decided to test the various downsizing methods to see which one works best for downsizing D810 landscapes which have 36 megapixels and lots of high frequency detail. We have some "accepted wisdom" about downsizing. But is it myth or is it true?

Nothing to prove. Just trying to learn.  ;D

Added a minute later:  I have a Toshiba Windows laptop on which I will also view the results. Our downsizes posted for web display should be viewable with reasonable detail on both types of machines.

zuglufttier:
Can you provide the Siemens star you used for downsizing? I'd like to try it myself ;)

Andrea B.:
Simone provided the star here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/hijmrelhpaesijt/Siemens.png?dl=0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version