Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Downsizing Challenge Part 2: The Siemen's Star

(1/9) > >>

Andrea B.:
The other thread had gotten so long that I thought it best to start a new one.

Recap:  Simone (simsurace) has been helping me with downsizing D810 photos because I have not been happy with results so far when the typical downsizing routines are applied to D810 landscapes. In Part 1, I worked through some examples to convince myself of a few things. In summary:

* My converters play no particular role in D810 landscape downsizing issues. I tested Photo Ninja and NX2.
* It did not particularly matter whether some sharpening was applied prior to my downsizing a D810 landscape. New:  Simone supplied a Siemen's Star PNG to test downsizing methods. (Thanks again!!) So now I'll run through a few typical downsizing algorithms with that.

Photo 1:  Here is an unresized crop of the center of the Siemen's Star so you can see some of the (false?) detail.
Photo 2: This is an unresized crop of an area to the right of center.

Frank Fremerey:
A great proof, that downsizing happens in the forum software. What came through of what you posted is some fractal compression algorithm no Simens star:

Frank Fremerey:
This is a Siemsstar: http://www.ngn-studios.de/uploads/media/Siemensstern.jpg

testing to embed this link:

Andrea B.:
That is interesting.

My Siemen's Star crop is 406 x 406 pixels and is not downsized by the forum software.
Right click it and select View Image Info. Then look for the pixel dimensions to see 406 x 406.

So what you are seeing - or rather not seeing - is the "compression" from your display resolution.

I am on a Macbook Pro Retina, and I can see every detail.

Andrea B.:
Well, anyway, onward to the downsizing tests.

I fear this may not work out well for anyone not having a high resolution display, but I will trudge onward.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version