Author Topic: woman with niqab and red nails  (Read 1111 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
woman with niqab and red nails
« on: May 27, 2016, 16:46:30 »
Taken last summer at an Indian Festival in what was the original Little India area, here in Toronto.
While looking for interesting subjects, I noticed a young Muslim woman wearing a long black dress, with a colourful headscarf, and Niqab or face cover. She was also wearing what looked like designer sunglasses, and carried a cell phone in her hand with red-manicured nails.
I liked the confluence of cultural symbols, and when she stopped to shop at a street vendor, I grabbed this shot.
motorized Nikon F with meterless, eyelevel prism
Nikkor 180 2.8 ED AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/1000th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: woman with niqab and red nails
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:25:12 »
Quite intriguing picture with several different stories in it. At first I whished the sunglasses would have been a little bit more visible but finally, it add to the story that I found them only when looking a second time.
Bruno Schröder

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Re: woman with niqab and red nails
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 15:41:27 »
Bruno,
thanks for commenting.
The shot isn't the best I've ever posted, but it was tough to get as the light was lousy (f16 bright, contrasty day) and she was wandering in and out of groups of shoppers, making it difficult to get a clear shot, so I took what I got. For me it was more about the story being presented than the quality of photo presenting it, if that makes sense.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.