Author Topic: 5 Lenses that Every Nikon Shooter Needs to Know About  (Read 5012 times)

s.smith

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
This article is about 5 Nikon lenses that fit into that category – the go-to lenses for pros and serious amateurs alike. If you shoot Nikon, these lenses should be part of your arsenal.

<This link removed by admin: goes to a site with no value >

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: 5 Lenses that Every Nikon Shooter Needs to Know About
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 16:59:34 »
You have not introduced yourself, made a few comments on photos while contributing nothing and then proceeded to spam articles.  Gives the impression that you should not be here.  I hope the powers that be agree.
-Tristin

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 17:43:45 »
Everybody is welcome at NG, as is Steve :)

That said we would indeed like to refrain from linking to nonsense articles like the one linked by the OP.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 18:00:19 »
Welcome! Esp. Your own thoughts and photos.
this thread seems to be SEO content.
Admis will probably deal with it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Koerner

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 18:16:08 »
Well, some people like to write and share articles (after all, what fun would it be if no one bothered to write articles?).

I just disagree with his choices. I also think the article is empty of any real content.

Lauding the 800mm lens is unnecessary, as it is a lens few will ever own. Its price tag alone suggests it is obviously stellar.

Of the realistic lenses shown in the article, in the ballpark for mo$t people, the 105 macro is a fine choice. However, the author doesn't really mention why it's a fine choice, other than repeating "nano-crystal coating" comments and "working distance." The trouble is, the working distance of the 105mm isn't an actual strength of this lens (compared to the 200mm). The strength of the 105 is its sharpness, bokeh, and color rendition compared to everything else in the 90-105mm class. It approaches Zeiss-like quality, at less than half the price. It is also the only non-Zeiss 100mm(ish) range lens to have 270° of focus throw, which is significant (as most macro shooters use MF not AF).

As far as zooms go, meh  :-X I personally am moving away from zooms.

The more detail-oriented I get, the more I value the strength of primes.

Jack

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 18:50:25 »
And the "zero added value" article even mixed up the picture of the 70-200mm by a (second) one of the 800mm
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 19:07:51 »
The linked article has indeed zero value. It is true the 800/5.6 is a remarkable lens - I concluded that myself in the review posted here on NG long ago - but obviously the writer never used it so had to resort to arguments of its bragging merits vs the Canonites. The recommendation of the AFS 105 Micro likewise shows a disturbing unfamiliarity with the product. And so on.

While posting links to articles published elsewhere is not against NG Forum rules, not by far, I urge anyone contemplating this practice to evaluate whether such an external linkage adds content of general interest to our members. Internet is crammed with noise and it is not our duty to increase the static further.

An assertion like this one "If you shoot Nikon, these lenses should be part of your arsenal" becomes meaningless when one of these lenses entails taking out  a mortgage on your house for most users.

If new links to this specific site are posted and they continue to be pointing to worthless content, such links will be considered spamming NG and immediately removed.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 19:14:41 »
I highly doubt the OP cares about the value of links he posts, he clearly has other motives.
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 19:18:26 »
If so, he can state his case himself. I have issued a warning that NG will not tolerate spamming of any kind.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 19:36:33 »
If so, he can state his case himself. I have issued a warning that NG will not tolerate spamming of any kind.

Is SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) content creation (here: relevant backlinks) not spamming at its best? Andrea?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 20:33:00 »
He'll get the benefit of doubt. For now.

However, if a practice is deemed to be spamming, the user(s) involved in such activities will be put on Moderator Watch thereafter.

Edgy01

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 20:41:10 »
Been a Nikon user since 1970 and can easily say that I don't own any of the lenses cited in the linked article.  And I don't think my photography has suffered for it, either.

Dan

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 21:05:35 »
I'm familiar with all 5, although I currently own none of these. However, using these lenses has the advantage I can easily spot nonsensical claims about the merits of any given lens.

John Koerner

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:14 »
Yeah, the more I read that article, the more I realized it was empty hype than an actual effort to be helpful or informative.

I believe everyone deserves a voice ... so long as it is sincere (and, even better, informed and sincere).

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:39 »
ooops! this means that i need to put more educational value in my teardowns rather than more of my black humor  :o :o :o