Author Topic: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II vs. Nikon Ai-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2  (Read 18307 times)

John Koerner

Anyone with experience with both?

If so, who wins--and why?

From what I have read, the Voigtlander is the better choice until f/2-f/5.6, where the Nikon 50mm is insanely sharp.

I love my Nikon 50mm, but am wondering if the Voigtlander is the one to use for extremely wide apertures.

What about the character of the bokeh, wide-open?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
There is a topic for the Voigtlander 58mm here .

It's a bit strange to compare a 1.4 with a 1.2 lens.  But if you look for sharpness, on all aperture settings the Voigtlander is a lot sharper. I know Airy has them both and did a lot of testing. Perhaps he can give more information.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
I tried the NOKTON and own the 0mm f/1.2 Nikkor.

Nikkor hands down for character.

I tried the NOKTON but I was not impressed with it wide-open. I do not know about other people but I buy fast lenses to shoot it wide-open.
the NOKTON also reminds me of the several 50mm f/1.4's that I own in terms of character wide-open so I saw no reason to own it.
some people love their NOKTON to bits so there must be something there that I do no know.
Another test that I do on my lenses is to shoot it wide open on it's closest focusing  distance and the 50mm f/1.2 wins hands down in terms of sharpness,etc.
I was told that the NOKTON perform pretty poor below a certain distance so you have to check that out as well.
The Nikkor also has color-coded numbers and distance scale. If you use the distance scale a lot then you know that this minor difference can mean everything when using this thing for street,etc. :o :o :o

John Koerner

Thank you.

It's a bit strange to compare a 1.4 with a 1.2 lens.

Why? That is all you did was compare them, yourself :o

But if you look for sharpness, on all aperture settings the Voigtlander is a lot sharper. I know Airy has them both and did a lot of testing. Perhaps he can give more information.

That is not what I read. I read the Nikor is sharper f/2 - f5/6, but with flaws.

John Koerner

I tried the NOKTON and own the 0mm f/1.2 Nikkor.

Nikkor hands down for character.

I tried the NOKTON but I was not impressed with it wide-open. I do not know about other people but I buy fast lenses to shoot it wide-open.
the NOKTON also reminds me of the several 50mm f/1.4's that I own in terms of character wide-open so I saw no reason to own it.
some people love their NOKTON to bits so there must be something there that I do no know.
Another test that I do on my lenses is to shoot it wide open on it's closest focusing  distance and the 50mm f/1.2 wins hands down in terms of sharpness,etc.
I was told that the NOKTON perform pretty poor below a certain distance so you have to check that out as well.
The Nikkor also has color-coded numbers and distance scale. If you use the distance scale a lot then you know that this minor difference can mean everything when using this thing for street,etc. :o :o :o

Thank you.

I read the Nokton was sharper wide, but lost the advantage rapidly. And, although "cleaner," the Nikon (as you confirm) has more character ...

All I know is I love mine, but was curious about the other.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
Hi, John!

Sorry, I meant that Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 has more character wide open.

by the way, i would like to point out that the 50mm f/1.2 has plenty of sample variation when it comes to QC so be aware! I saw some examples that are not so good wide open. :o :o :o

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors

OK 2 things to declare up front - my impression of the Nokton is based on the link above only; and I own the 50mm f/1.2 AiS.

I like the Nikkor f/1.2 much better judging from the shots in the link, the bokeh IMO is better and my feel is that the f/1.2 is sharper.  But it is apple vs orange...

Now I would like to try the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G...

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Well yes. One should compare Voigtlander 58mm  f/1.4 with the Nikkor G 58mm  f/1.4   and not with a f/1.2 lens which has a smoother bokeh by definition (and is less sharp).

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
my 50mm f/1.2 is sharp wide open when you nailed the focus right :o :o :o
so is my dreamy 55mm f/1.2 ::) with this one, you got to nail the exposure right as well

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
The Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 is one of those lenses that has such a unique character wide open that it doesn't make much sense to compare it.  You either like it or you don't.  At f/1.2 it has high resolution, but can appear a tad soft due to spherical aberrations.  That is what makes it's rendering look the way it does though, so is an important part of the lens. 
-Tristin

John Koerner

Appreciate the comments.

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm has been called better than the 58mm f/1.2 Noct in some respects.

Certainly, it seems better for the price. Comments always center on sharpness, however.

It seems like the Voigtlander might be the cleaner, more "technically-correct" choice ... but lacking the same creative character?  ???

John Koerner

Well yes. One should compare Voigtlander 58mm  f/1.4 with the Nikkor G 58mm  f/1.4   and not with a f/1.2 lens which has a smoother bokeh by definition (and is less sharp).

Bokeh isn't necessarily "better" in an f/1.2 vs f1.4.

Quality of bokeh is affected by how the OOF elements are rendered, not just because it's wide-open.

I have read many who try to compare the Voigtlander 58mm  f/1.4 and the Noct. Nikkor 58 f/1.2.
I can see the reason for this comparison, also, as they are both metal, all-manual (pleasing-to-use) lenses, whereas the G is another cheap, plasticky AF lens.

However, the G is in the price range of the Voigtlander and it's a f/1.4 like the Nikon.

So I guess it depends on what you're "focusing on" (pardon the pun) ;)

John, you seem to be considering lenses at "exactly" f/1.4 in the 58mm range only

However, since I started this particular thread, my quest is comparing 50-ish fast, all-manual lenses ... which means the 58mm f/1.4 G isn't a thought in my head in this comparison.

This is why I asked about the all-manual, fast 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S versus the all-manual, fast Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II.

IMO, the all-manual, fast Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 is the closest comparison, but the latter is out of my desired price range. I just don't see it being worth $2500 more than either lens, except as a collector's item.

Still, many have made this comparison, as they too are regarding them as fast, all-manual 58 mm lenses.

Jack

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Since you own the Nikkor and the Voigtlander isn't expensive, why not give one a whirl?  No one can tell you which you would prefer.

What is it about the Nikkor you dislike?  I can't imagine a reason to own the f/1.2 if you don't like it's look wide open.
-Tristin

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Hi,

i own both. My 50 1.2 is sharper at 1.2 than the Voigtländer at 1.4 or higher. At f2 the Nikkor is extreme (better then the Voigtländer!) sharp in the center and beginning with f2.8 i do not see much difference between both of them just regarding sharpness: They are both very(!) sharp. Bokeh is too much taste to discuss about, but the Nikon renders highlights beginning with f2 NOT circular. ;) The blades of the aperture are not circular. The Voigtländer is better here and it has wonderful colours. Or just short: Both are unique. ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
BUT:

The Voigtländer can not do this. ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR