Author Topic: Japanese Maple  (Read 1320 times)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
Japanese Maple
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:32 »
On a cloudy day looking skyward into the treetops.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Japanese Maple
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:25:43 »
WOW Tom ! - that is a fantastic interpretation and image. Great work

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:14:52 »
Super use of the technical fact that the shadow has a tendency to shine in complementary colors. Very educational. Love the uniform BG. Thank you.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 05:45:51 »
Pleasant and tasteful color composition of mint green, purple and red.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 06:00:27 »
Thank you Mongo, Frank and Akira for your generous comments.

Mongo, interpretation is a word that may do me too much justice here. I simply set up the camera and tripod, got the framing I wanted and made sure there was nothing that deterred from a uniform background. I try to always be that careful with such shots but a lot of what I end up with is utter crap!

Frank, your point about complementary colors is interesting to me. In my design work, I have used complementary colors but had not applied that concept to light and shadows in the natural world. What also surprised me was that the colors in the picture are pretty much out of camera except for some tweaking of the exposure with some small increase in saturation. I didn't expect the purples (although the leaves in neutral light are a maroon shade and being translucent can change colors when light shines through them, which of course is true of many leaves). 

Akira, this Japanese Maple is in my front yard and I find myself continually returning to it as a subject of my photography. It so often surprises me. Are they as popular in Japan as they are in Connecticut?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:22 »
Akira, this Japanese Maple is in my front yard and I find myself continually returning to it as a subject of my photography. It so often surprises me. Are they as popular in Japan as they are in Connecticut?

Tom, Japanese maple trees are commonly seen everywhere in Japan except in Hokkaido, and their bright red in the autumn provides the most essential color to the traditional Japanese landscapes.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira