Author Topic: VR Questions...  (Read 3280 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
VR Questions...
« on: May 12, 2016, 23:53:05 »
I have a new AF-S 105/2.8G ED VR Micro-Nikkor. Yes I know it's not a Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 Apo-Lanthar. Please send FREE money. :)

Sorry

I'm new to VR though I've been reading. I'm where is the...

1) Crossover for no/off for shutter speed for general Photoshop.
2) Point where VR is no longer use in regard to image scale, e.g. 1/4x, 1/3x, 1/2x.
3) Point in image scale where VR should be turned off.

I said I'm new to VR but I've used a friend's AF-S 16-85/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX, etc. for close-up. I've never own a VR lens before.

Thanks!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: VR Questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 00:46:56 »
Regardless of what Nikon is saying about VR don't use it on a tripod and turn VR off when out of focus objects double them selves in the background.

For the rest don't overthink the use of VR  ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:01 »
I mostly use the VR function on the 105 f2,8G VR when handholding the lens at speeds down to 1/30th. Anything faster then 1/500th I no longer see the need for VR.
On a tripod VR is better switched off. As for close up work, I had some good results with VR switched on up to about 0,5m. Anything closer and I was no longe able to tell whether motion blur was caused by VR or by me, so I usually switch VR off and limit the possible causes to user error ;)
Buddy

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:39:12 »
...and turn VR off when out of focus objects double them selves in the background.

Does something go wrong when the background blurring gets strong? Does VR go nuts or just give up? I had hoped VR would work using the in focus areas of the image. 

As for close up work, I had some good results with VR switched on up to about 0,5m. Anything closer and I was no longe able to tell whether motion blur was caused by VR or by me, so I usually switch VR off and limit the possible causes to user error ;)

I've fond VR quite useful for close-up using my friend's AF-S 16-85/3.5-5.6G, etc. Nikkor. That lens quite surprises me. I've used that lens with her D300, my D300s and a few times on my D800. I never make changes in her camera or lens as I'm very likely to forget so I've never turned VR off on her lens.

Thanks for the replies! These tips will help me as I experiment.

Dave

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 13:23:54 »
Sometimes the background gets really ugly due to VR. Double lines appearing out of nowhere is  symptom.

Although Nikon advocates VR be ON for their current long lenses mounted on tripods,  I have had these issues even at shutter speeds around 1/500 sec or faster.  The remedy is switching VR OFF, and mount the lens on an adequate tripod/head.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:49 »
Sometimes the background gets really ugly due to VR. Double lines appearing out of nowhere is  symptom.

Thank you! This will help me make better decisions on when to turn VR on and when to turn it off.

Dave

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 07:10:54 »
I've never done any scientific testing with VR, but my strategy is to turn on the VR when I am no longer able to get sharp pictures because of diminishing light or increasing focal length. Usually that means when shutterspeed has to drop below 1x of focal length. With a high resolution camera (above 24 mp, lower with dx) my rules might not apply. Especially with the D800e I had to increase my shutterspeed to above 1x FL to get tack sharp pictures. When I did that the VR seem to destroy sharpness. I havent tried VR for macro but I guess the closer you get towards 1:1, the less use one have for VR. The movements/shaking of the optics have higher frequenzy the higher the magnification ratio (or resolution) and it gets increasingly difficult for the VR to counterbalance the movements.