Author Topic: Thoughts on a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AF-n on a Df  (Read 3537 times)

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
Thoughts on a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AF-n on a Df
« on: May 10, 2016, 18:33:20 »
I have a chance to get one of these at a good price.  The shutter blades are clean as there is no glass covering them, seems to work fine on my Df. 

I'm wondering if I should wait until I find an AI-s version, or get this one?

thoughts???

Art

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Thoughts on a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AF-n on a Df
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 19:33:48 »
I have the first AF version of the 180mm and I prefer it above the Ais. But that may be caused by a bad Ais sample...

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 20:08:14 »
My girlfriend owns the 180 f2,8ED AF-D(n). I had the pleasure to use th elens last sunday and all I can say is that even if it doesn't have the fastest AF, AF performance is still good enough to cover some moving subjects. I tried running dogs and it worked fine.

The lens is (when you buy a good copy) sharp, contrasty, with a slightly amber color cast.

I bought an early AF model of the same lens some years ago and found that it lacks contrast and had a blue color cast. As it turned out it had quite a bit of fungus on one of the inner lens elements (I believe the one right behind the front glass). I was able to return the lens for a full refund. I would recommend this lens any time someone asks whether or not they should buy it. Doubly so if you can get it for a good price.
Buddy

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 20:38:12 »
I've got the 180 ED-Ais, and have seen unverified reports that the AF 180 is a touch better in "sharpness".  If you plan to use it in manual focus mode, check out the manual focus action of the AF lens.  Often, the MF action of AF lenses is inferior to the MF version.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 20:43:07 »
Another point of consideration may be the close focus distance. For the AF that's 150cm but for the Ais 180cm

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 21:54:39 »
From http://www.nikkor.com/story/0010/:

two ED lenses [AI-S vs AF] make the extremely uniform and sharp image so that the deterioration of the image quality in the periphery of the frame is hardly perceptible. "AI AF NIKKOR ED", in particular, gives uniform and sharp image from infinity to the closest distance due to Nikon's original IF system, as is expected of the latest design. "AI NIKKOR ED" gives excellent performance from infinity to medium distances, especially the clearness of color is superb.

[...]

the coloring of the fringe of defocus with "AI NIKKOR ED" is very little and the defocused images appear smooth.
This is similar to "AI AF NIKKOR ED" as well, images taken are so alike that sometimes we cannot know the one from the other depending on the shooting condition.
If I am pressed to mention the difference, with "AI NIKKOR ED", the defocus linked from the focused plane to the front defocus appears hard, and with "AI AF NIKKOR ED" the rear defocus just behind the focused plane appears hard.

In summary, both perform well at medium-far distances, the AF version performs better at close range (and it focuses closer too). The background bokeh of the AIS (AI NIKKOR ED) is smoother, if that's important. The AF also has AF (of course) and a greater level of compatibility with the Df. On the other hand, nothing compares with the build and handling of the AIS version.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:52:39 »
always wanted to buy one, just could not afford it :o :o :o

this lens has a tendency to get dusty inside due to the exposed rear but it is easy to clean. some used samples here are a bit dusty. they are nice lenses and should be great on any camera

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:14 »
On both Ai-S and the AF version I would recommend an aftermarket lens hood. The retractable hood is too short to really be effective and the lens loses a lot of contrast when shooting a backlit scene.

I ordered a cheap metal screw in type lens shade as well as a rubber one. The metal one won out because it's narrower and fits in a camera bag better
Buddy

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 05:24:07 »
I was eyeing the AiS version but chance to get the AF version (first version) rather affordably came and I grabbed it.  I am very please with it, minimal vignette wide open, sharp!

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 17:11:39 »
I have been testing the 180 for a few days now... seems to work fine! (other than my kid borrowed the camera... another story)

i think I'm going to buy it as i like the AF  :)

thank you all for the feed back  8)

oldfauser

• NG Member
  • From SE Wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 19:19:19 »
one i took with my new to me 180mm AF-n

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 21:56:03 »
Well done. This was the first Nikon lens I ever owned and I still like going back to it from time to time