Author Topic: NG Scotland 2016  (Read 94731 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: NG Scotland 2016
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2016, 15:04:25 »
Thank you, Hans!

I can see what you mean. The first one is quite simple and works best for me too, but YMMV as you say.

For me the light beams make the picture. As you can see in the picture attached to this reply, I felt the piece of rock in the middle was in the way. So I went there and took the pic from that point.

Not sure if you are interested in my opinion, each one has their own tastes, be here it goes.
This pano and the previous framing all have elements of interest, which are mutually exclusive, but they also share some interesting and difficult features.

The first set has more sense of depth, showing all the slope down to the lake, with its beautiful texture. The lighting is reasonably uniform across the whole composition.

In the second image there is a clear divide between foreground and distant ground; these two are also separated by a great difference in exposure. In this case I think the image would work better if one went one or another of two opposite directions. One possibility is to bring up shadow detail from the foreground, while trying to make the exposure as harmonious as possible in the far ground. The other is to give more emphasis to the far ground and the silhouetted figure in the notch; work on the exposure and colour of the far ground, letting the foreground go black and cropping out a good portion of it, to make the other walker disappear, while keeping the ridge profile intact.

Both have the defining feature of the rays, which also means that this is difficult lighting that poses technical challenges to the image. I seldom manage to get decent enough results from hazy and backlit landscapes like this, but I think with some work both could become good images.
Personally I feel the first composition will work better in black and white (perhaps with a slightly less dark sky).
Simone Tomasi

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2016, 15:04:39 »
3/ Arrow slit (a shape I had never saw before).
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #482 on: May 21, 2016, 15:06:55 »
4/ From the south of the lake : with V/C 90mm apo lanthar.
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2016, 15:08:34 »
Slightly same location, same lens :
Francis Devrainne

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2016, 15:08:44 »
Absolutely superb series, Simone !

I like all of them. 8).

While most of the ''gang'' was travelling to Oban, I went  to Kilchurn castle, on the end of loch Awe (I wonder how I should pronounce ''Awe''... :P)

So the castle is taken from 4 different points of view.

1/ with 300mm f/4.5 from near Loch Awe train station.

Thanks Jakov!

Thanks for the inspiring images of Kilchurn castle, this is another of the locations that I did not manage to "squeeze" in my schedule and the images are telling me I should go back for it.
In my dreams I would have shot it from the shore opposite to the jetty.
There is still a chance that I'll do it at some later point though, it is only a 7 hours drive from home :)
Maybe an autumn visit to Dave could fix this missed opportunity, and a few others.  ;D
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2016, 15:12:12 »
Same location, same lens :

This is the side I was mentioning in my reply to Jakov!
A bit further to the left and lower, to get a view into the valley and summits behind the castle.
I'll definitely try to go back in the autumn.
This should be a morning shot: browns, yellow, reds, some mist, clear reflective water. Humm...
Simone Tomasi

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2016, 15:39:35 »
This should be a morning shot: browns, yellow, reds, some mist, clear reflective water. Humm...

For sure !

As Dave stated before Scotland meet-up, one full day is needed to get nice pictures of Kilchurn castle, at different times of the day, and with different lightings. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2016, 17:54:45 »
Not sure if you are interested in my opinion, each one has their own tastes, be here it goes.
This pano and the previous framing all have elements of interest, which are mutually exclusive, but they also share some interesting and difficult features.

The first set has more sense of depth, showing all the slope down to the lake, with its beautiful texture. The lighting is reasonably uniform across the whole composition.

In the second image there is a clear divide between foreground and distant ground; these two are also separated by a great difference in exposure. In this case I think the image would work better if one went one or another of two opposite directions. One possibility is to bring up shadow detail from the foreground, while trying to make the exposure as harmonious as possible in the far ground. The other is to give more emphasis to the far ground and the silhouetted figure in the notch; work on the exposure and colour of the far ground, letting the foreground go black and cropping out a good portion of it, to make the other walker disappear, while keeping the ridge profile intact.

Both have the defining feature of the rays, which also means that this is difficult lighting that poses technical challenges to the image. I seldom manage to get decent enough results from hazy and backlit landscapes like this, but I think with some work both could become good images.
Personally I feel the first composition will work better in black and white (perhaps with a slightly less dark sky).

This is rather helpful. I will sure try to take your wirds as
inspiration and start another remix of the Files
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2016, 20:30:10 »
I'm astonished at the range and quality of the images being posted by absolutely everyone, and delighted that Scotland was so stimulating. What a week that was, and I've been missing "my photographers" as Mayumi used to say. The weather finally broke in midweek and we have had some heavy rain, but the gardens and the rivers needed it. And this afternoon the sun shone again and I had a long walk with my son - in a really beautiful place I had never seen before. I wish I could take you all there.

So I'm signing off with a few "people" pictures. Thank you all for making last week so memorable.

1. Another view of Erik and The Beast.
2. If it's Friday, it must be Glen Coe.
3. You can run but you can't hide.
4. Mike soon learned how a gate works.

Thanks again, for everything.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2016, 20:54:42 »
I have just spent considerable time going through this wonderful thread. It's mission impossible to comment on all the stunning shots you've posted, but wow what a consistent high standard and a huge variance (just look at all the shots of the Kelpies) as well. I would have loved to taken part of it, Franks dinner and all the other fun you all had, including seeing The Fisheye Beast. Erik, I'm not the least surprised that Photografica were pleased - really impressive work.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2016, 21:05:28 »
It was fun to wait for the extremely brave men to kayak down the Etude.
We were all photographing the vent. I decided to set the camera on a stone and try a long exposure.
The first one went down and I was happy with the results eagerly expecting the second one to stream down, and then I saw Erik with his fish getting on to the edge and trying to get in close. What a guy :)
I know it has been posted here before, including Erik's shot of the kayaks up close, but I thought of sharing these three I took :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2016, 21:32:29 »
Jakov: That is the real treat with wonderful colors & forms & motion blur!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2016, 22:12:33 »
Thanks all ;) Great shots Jakov! Here is the final edit on the night shooting with Jakov;

Night sky Visitors Killin Scotland Standing Stones Nikkor Fisheye 6mm

_EGL2710 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2016, 23:04:46 »
Sorry Andrea, but something is wrong with the colors: very over saturated, no ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2016, 23:09:52 »
Hmmm...not sure what happened. I was "batching" output. I'll try again later.  ;D