Author Topic: NG Scotland 2016  (Read 94704 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: NG Scotland 2016
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2016, 01:02:55 »
That is a very brave image which works really well and is the best I've seen yet of the castle. I think most people, including myself, would have been afraid of all that acreage of black, and would have cropped a lot of it.
Thanks, David, I don't feel brave, just lucky to be there at the right time.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #466 on: May 21, 2016, 01:03:58 »
Chris asked me to post some shots taken with the D500 & 5.6/200-500 on static subjects. Here is an impressive gull who was not scared of us at all.
1) frame
2) 100% crop
EXIF in files
Did someone say Sharp?
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2016, 02:15:15 »
Another view of Glencoe:

Gosh! That is so coool!!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2016, 04:26:35 »
Mikes. Wow. The castle shots in #446 edited in low key add some magic to the place which it certainly deserves!!!

+1

That's a real beaut.

Thanks, Frank and Dave. For me, its an intriguing, almost mystical location, and there is so much to work with there. It would be great to be there in a full moon.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2016, 04:30:05 »
due to lack of hand holding technique my puffins look a lot like having had too much VR... shaken, not stirred
1) 100%
2) edit/crop resized

Puffins are great subjects. You were lucky to find them at home whilst you were there.

They all had eyes for you, Frank.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2016, 09:56:57 »
Loch Tay: different render set, different projection and less aggressive mixdown from RAW & same in BW & same with more color
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #471 on: May 21, 2016, 09:58:19 »
Excellent triptych!

By the other posts I can tell many of you went to take pictures of Buachaille Etive Mor near the little bridge on river Etive.
Unfortunately I could not manage to do that too...

Total agreement about the tryptych; but not about the name of the river at that bridge. The river which the road crosses at that bridge is the Coupal. About 100m to the east of the bridge, the Coupal merges with the Allt Chaillach to form the River Etive. Sorry to seem pedantic, but anyone who needs accurate captioning and/or keywording would have been misled.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #472 on: May 21, 2016, 10:13:03 »
Total agreement about the tryptych; but not about the name of the river at that bridge. The river which the road crosses at that bridge is the Coupal. About 100m to the east of the bridge, the Coupal merges with the Allt Chaillach to form the River Etive. Sorry to seem pedantic, but anyone who needs accurate captioning and/or keywording would have been misled.

I stand corrected.  :)
Simone Tomasi

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #473 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:18 »
Wow, just wow. If only i could have been there with you guys  :(

Loch Tay: different render set, different projection and less aggressive mixdown from RAW & same in BW & same with more color

Great pano Frank, IMHO the first rendering in this post (#470; semi monotone) works best. In the others i feel you took the tone mapping too far. Of course, just my opinion, YMMV.
Hans Cremers

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #474 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:40 »
Excellent triptych!
Thank you. The idea for this presentation (instead of the contiguous panorama) came from an exhibition where a photographer presented his square format medium format images in this way (without stitching). Since we don't have square sensors, stitching seems like the most natural way to achieve this, although you could also shoot images, crop them to a square and set them side by side.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2016, 12:12:34 »
This looks great, Simone.  The brightness of the sun is well under control.

Is the exposure for all the frames the same?  I know this is for the pano, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks!
The exposure was 1/250s at f/16 for all images.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2016, 13:13:36 »

Indeed, river Coupal (or Coupall). In post #298 the same river is visible. For me, this is easily the best location we've been to, I could spend hours upon hours at that stream with all the colorful rocks.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2016, 14:39:17 »
Great pano Frank, IMHO the first rendering in this post (#470; semi monotone) works best. In the others i feel you took the tone mapping too far. Of course, just my opinion, YMMV.

Thank you, Hans!

I can see what you mean. The first one is quite simple and works best for me too, but YMMV as you say.

For me the light beams make the picture. As you can see in the picture attached to this reply, I felt the piece of rock in the middle was in the way. So I went there and took the pic from that point.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #478 on: May 21, 2016, 14:54:52 »
Last batch of landscapes from the Ben Lawers hike.

Absolutely superb series, Simone !

I like all of them. 8).

While most of the ''gang'' was travelling to Oban, I went  to Kilchurn castle, on the end of loch Awe (I wonder how I should pronounce ''Awe''... :P)

So the castle is taken from 4 different points of view.

1/ with 300mm f/4.5 from near Loch Awe train station.
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #479 on: May 21, 2016, 14:57:25 »
2/ from the same direction, but this time from the lake and close to the castle with Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZF2 :
Francis Devrainne