Author Topic: Putting a real CPU in the Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S  (Read 5409 times)

stenrasmussen

Putting a real CPU in the Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:37 »
Upon living on the cpu-edge with a Dandelion installed in my 35/1.4Ai-S an attempt at mounting it on my D5300 caused one of the pins to become skewed and break off. So from now on I will NEVER use those fragile things again. I have a CPU on the way from Mr. Bear and here's a donor contact block waiting on the host lens.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Putting a real CPU in the Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:12:51 »
Sorry to hear about the mishap with the Dandelion. However, this incident only confirms what I learned myself and heard from others. The Dandelions indeed are lacking the tenacity and vigour of their botanical counterparts... Besides the contact pins stick out too far and are very vulnerable as you already have experienced.

Your CPU replacement currently is on its way through the Norwegian snail-mail system. Hang in there.

Meanwhile, start a slimming process of your new contact block.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 14:15:45 »
Slimming process, rear lens cell and contact block.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 14:30:07 »
Sten, a while ago I picked up a number of the 10-pin "wide" block contacts on Ebay.  What I found when I measured them all was that there was quite a variation in their thickness - up to around one third of a mm.

A third of a mm could be really handy if you are squeezing a contact block into a confined gap between the rear lens cell and the lens mount.

Much of the variation seemed to be due to the metal backing plates being inconsistent in their curvatures.
Hugh Gunn

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 14:33:39 »
Bjørn, have we issued a certificate to Sten for being an NG Nerd of High Order  ;D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 14:46:18 »
The "inconsistency" of the long blocks vanishes when it is realised there are two distinct types. One for mounting in plastic casings, which requires longer screws with wider head and coarser thread and has the rear platforms for the screws raised above the metal backing plate; the other for mounting in metal casings and needing shorter screws as the mounting brackets are flush to the rear surface. Only the second type should be used when space is at a premium. The problem in general with the first type, often scavenged from damaged cheap "kit" zooms, is the need for non-standard screws with wide heads, and these can be tricky to make flush to the surface of the bayonet unless you trim the heads. Plus the curvature of the block is stronger than of the second type.

I always order type 2 contact blocks to avoid these issues.

If Sten gets into troubles with the required slimming, I can provide him with the correct block.

CPU-modifying of the 35/1.4 is 'easy' in the sense that one does not need to cut into the rear glass elements, only the wall of the retaining cell. Due to the presence of CRC, the wall needs to be slimmed over a fairly wide area. This is in contrast to the Fisheye 16/3.5 where the removal of material is more concentrated as the rear part of that lens, unlike the 35/1.4, does not rotate on its own.

Sten passes all tests as an NG Super nerd, no problem in that area :D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 15:57:46 »
Mmm...

Bjørn, the blocks that I was referring to sound like what you call Type 2, in that they take an M1.4 short screw of 3mm overall length and the metal backing plate is folded into a step near where each screw passes through the backing plate,  so as to minimise the length of the required screw.  And yes,  I still encountered a ~1/3mm variation in their thickness near the middle of the block.  It was also worse away from the outer/outside edge of the block.

Hugh Gunn

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 16:03:52 »
Perhaps they occur a little differently between various lenses? I order a specific spare part and they are all identical. Same as used in the 24-70 AFS, by the way.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 18:05:09 »
I think it was pretty difficult to chip this lens,,, So well done Sten!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 18:20:36 »
To be fair, Sten only has shown the opening moves as it were. Hopefully the new CPU has arrived. That is if the Norwegian Mail hasn't sent it to the Arctic North for sorting, then dispatching it back. Such things do happen in the name of "efficiency", that outdated buzzword.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 19:10:22 »
You guys certainly has guts. I usually keep heavy machinery and optical instruments separate. Off topic: B&H New York to my door, 2-3 days, Posten from Oslo to my mailbox . Maybe 5 days before I receive a pick up note ::) Snail mail, is no understatement.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 19:28:15 »
There is a mutual relationship and friendly understanding between a lens and a Dremel.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 00:00:27 »
...as long as risk is appropiately assessed 😉

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 00:11:15 »
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Been through the 35/1.4 modification a few times myself, and unlike Erik et al. I am no expert on these matters. Persistence and patience are key ingredients. Plus willing to take a risk, like I did when I asked Erik to modify my 58 Noct.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:09 »
How difficult is it to chip a 55mm f1,2? It is one of my most used lenses and I am considering chipping a few of my lenses (20mm UD Nikkor, 55 f1,2 and 135 f2,8) to save the hassle of constantly correcting the EXIF data in lightroom after I forgot to change the camera setting ;)
Buddy