Author Topic: Sony/Techart adapter Auto Focus on Nikon 75-150 3.5 E is acceptable...  (Read 2065 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
AF on Nikon 105 f2.5 Ai is good  ;) .  Lazy Sunday afternoon in the extreme heat so playing with some Nikon lenses on the Sony a7II, Techart Pro AF adapter with Kipon Nik to L/M adapter.
 f3.5 at 150mm and second image, a crop from 100% from the same combo of camera and adapters but 105 2.5Ai at approx. 16 feet.  Totally OOC, sharpening -1, Sony Standard ,  just cropped from jpeg. No problems with MF with both lenses so not sure if anything is gained
Just for some fun :)

I'm not planning on using the lenses on the Sony on a regular basis , that is what the Df is for.   My Leica Summarit M 75mm is stuck in Customs , Mumbai  >:(

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Auto Focus on Nikon 75-150 3.5 E is acceptable...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 13:33:18 »
Your topic subject and the content of your post are puzzling,,,  ::)
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 13:57:51 »
I believe Tom made a slight mistake and wrote Auto Focus while he meant Manual Focus  :-\
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 13:57:55 »
It is about this new gizmo the Techart pro AF adapter that with a trick allows you to do AF on MF lenses using Sony cameras.
Maybe a gimmick, but a clever one.
My expectation is that AF would be quite slow, it would drain batteries fast and I have some doubts as to the durability of the motor.
Simone Tomasi

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 14:04:56 »
I told you so Erik  ::)
Thank you Simone for clearing it up for us who are ignorant :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 14:42:33 »
Your stating two different lenses!  :o ::)
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 14:44:26 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3binM22uUpg

this is what got into my mind the 1st time i read the subject. i dont know why. saw these in action in CP+ but i was not interested in these so i did not spend the time covering it. it is ground breaking for people who are not yet comfortable with manual focusing :o :o :o

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 15:45:28 »
Sorry, for the confusion.  The adapter has been discussed before but I could not locate the threads quickly.  I bought the adapter for the Voigtlander, Leica and a couple of other lenses.  I had no intention of using Nikons but thought I would check out stacking adapters.  The little V/M 15 f4.5 is so easy to MF I have not even tried it.  The other consideration is giving up the Voigt Close Focus adapter.   I will try the Nikon 135 2.8's since that is an FL I like and no other lenses for the Sony.

Simone's concerns about the battery drain (yes, it does but not as bad as WiFi and dependent on distances, and whether any manual pre-focus), life of the motor is a concern.  There are still things that need to be worked on so I expect another Firmware update.  Acquiring initial focus takes longer but when changing targets at similar distance (say with in 15 feet or so (depth) of each other then the AF on the Voigt 75, 2.5, Voigt 90 3.5, Leica 90 f4, Minolta f4 is fast enough to shoot people moving about at an event/ function given reasonable light (not good light).  Going from close (my wife in the pool reading) to the Communication gear on top of the building took abut 3-4 seconds but once there I could move the focus very quickly.

I'm not sure how much it saves over MF with the Sony but doesn't save anything on the Df using MF.  Sony takes me longer (than Df) to go from Peaking to magnification to shooting.

Still early days and I will be very happy when Jan Anne gets his and we can compare notes  :)
The line about my new 75mm being stuck in customs was a moan about the hassles here  >:(
Tom

Edit:  this post/thread can be removed as you like.  I'm sure that JA will be able to provide much better info and images to any that are interested  :)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 17:39:29 »
So the title of the thread should be changed, please. TIA
Erik Lund