Author Topic: Passage of Mercury in front of the Sun May 09, 2016  (Read 14721 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Passage of Mercury in front of the Sun May 09, 2016
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:22 »
If the adapter does not supply any electrical signals the AW-1 will not see any lens attached and refuse to fire ("check lens - pictures can only be taken with a lens attached" message, just checked). With FT-1 it will still see an electrical signal and allow anything attached to the FT-1  (or not) to be used for exposure time down to 1 sec. 

With FT-1 the AW1 allows zooming in to about 100% view with a press of the OK button, making manual focusing pretty easy.
Øivind Tøien

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:21 »
If the adapter does not supply any electrical signals the AW-1 will not see any lens attached and refuse to fire ("check lens - pictures can only be taken with a lens attached" message). With FT-1 it will still see an electrical signal and allow anything attached to the FT-1  (or not) to be used.

Is this a specific "feature" of the AW1 or is it common across Nikon 1 cameras?
If it is, items like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381057054463?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

are basically useless, at least for the AW1.
Simone Tomasi

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 13:57:03 »
The V1 focuses with entirely manual lenses and adapters without contacts. I'm regularly using the Nikkor CRT with a cheap M39 adapter and even with a lens simply mounted with rubber bands.
Bruno Schröder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 14:47:31 »
Simone, I shot Transit of Venus using Nikon 1 J1, FT-1 adapter, Ai300/4.5 and TC14 teleconverter.  Thanks to the genuine adapter and the non-ED Nikkor, I could just set the lens at the infinity stop.  All I had to do was to chase the sun correctly.

The problem of the cheap adapter in general is the sample variation.  Some sample don't allow you to focus at infinity and some allow you to focus "past" infinity.  The latter case should be OK, but the former case is a big problem to shoot the Mercury in Transit.

You should be all right so long as you use the genuine FT-1 and your Mamiya lens can focus literally at infinity.  With FT-1, you should be able to use either A or M mode and either spot or center-weighted metering method for the exposure.

According to Nikon's compatibility chart, you are not able to use any focus aid with an MF lens (even with the Nikkor Ai/Ais).  I'm afraid I don't remember if you can magnify the live view image with the combo.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 15:42:53 »
Simone, I shot Transit of Venus using Nikon 1 J1, FT-1 adapter, Ai300/4.5 and TC14 teleconverter.  Thanks to the genuine adapter and the non-ED Nikkor, I could just set the lens at the infinity stop.  All I had to do was to chase the sun correctly.

The problem of the cheap adapter in general is the sample variation.  Some sample don't allow you to focus at infinity and some allow you to focus "past" infinity.  The latter case should be OK, but the former case is a big problem to shoot the Mercury in Transit.

You should be all right so long as you use the genuine FT-1 and your Mamiya lens can focus literally at infinity.  With FT-1, you should be able to use either A or M mode and either spot or center-weighted metering method for the exposure.

According to Nikon's compatibility chart, you are not able to use any focus aid with an MF lens (even with the Nikkor Ai/Ais).  I'm afraid I don't remember if you can magnify the live view image with the combo.

OK, maybe the whole idea does not have legs.
Infinity focus on the Mamyia is a problem, not sure why. I would have to fix that. Add variability from the converter and it becomes hopeless.
Not to mention that without the AW1 seeing some electronics it will completely refuse to take a photo, according to Øivind (I trust he has read the manual more carefully than me).
I will revert to the original plan, which is to use the X-T1. I also have a 2X TC for the 500mm and have shot the sun previously with this combo so not a big deal if I cannot use the AW1.
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 16:08:41 »
I am considering buying an adapter like the FT-1 to use on the Nikon 1 system (I have an AW1) for the Mercury transit.
The lens I am planning to use is a Mamyia 500mm so no electronics whatsoever and I nave no AF(S) Nikkors so not keen to buy an expensive FT-1 if a much cheaper alternative can do the job in the same way.

What problems am I going to face using a completely manual lens with no electronics on a Nikon 1?

I can bring my FT-1 to Scotland if you need it. But if you put a totally manual lens in front, there is really little point in using it (except for the support, see below).

Instead, you can cobble together an improvised adapter from ebay items. The only issue is support, the lens shouldn't be too heavy because you are going to mount the rig onto the camera tripod mount. Here, the FT-1 has an advantage because it has a tripod foot. How heavy is the Mamiya 500mm? I can make and bring an improvised adapter for you if you don't have the parts, since it might be too short a time window to order them now from ebay.

You need a lens with aperture ring and you are forced to use the camera in manual mode.
I don't have the AW1, but on my V1 there is a strange upper limit to the exposure time, if I remember correctly it is 1/3s. I cannot do any exposures longer than that.
These are the only limits that come to my mind right now.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 16:20:44 »
Infinity focus on the Mamyia is a problem, not sure why.
I don't know why your lens does not focus to infinity, but if the flange distance is a problem, one can insert a M42 helicoid into the adapter to adjust the spacing between sensor and the bayonet of the lens.

Thus, my proposed improvised adapter would be
Nikon1 to M42 adapter -- M42 helicoid -- M42 to Nikon F adapter.

I have to check whether this package already exceeds the width of the FT-1. How big is the Mamiya flange distance?
What mount does the Mamiya lens have? How big is the Nikon F to Mamiya adapter you use (if you use it at all)?

I have a Nikon F male to Mamiya 645 female adapter on order (for a different project), but it hasn't arrived yet. Is that what you use?
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Mamiya-645-lens-M645-Mount-to-Nikon-F-mount-Camera-Adapter-D4-D800-D7100-D5200-/351410153227?hash=item51d1ad670b:g:12cAAOSwl8NVZD-f
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 16:32:06 »
I checked that the Mamiya flange distance is 63.3mm. If you can measure your Mamiya 645 adapter thickness, I can check whether I can make an adapter for you.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 18:10:13 »
I don't know why your lens does not focus to infinity, but if the flange distance is a problem, one can insert a M42 helicoid into the adapter to adjust the spacing between sensor and the bayonet of the lens.

Thus, my proposed improvised adapter would be
Nikon1 to M42 adapter -- M42 helicoid -- M42 to Nikon F adapter.

I have to check whether this package already exceeds the width of the FT-1. How big is the Mamiya flange distance?
What mount does the Mamiya lens have? How big is the Nikon F to Mamiya adapter you use (if you use it at all)?

I have a Nikon F male to Mamiya 645 female adapter on order (for a different project), but it hasn't arrived yet. Is that what you use?
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Mamiya-645-lens-M645-Mount-to-Nikon-F-mount-Camera-Adapter-D4-D800-D7100-D5200-/351410153227?hash=item51d1ad670b:g:12cAAOSwl8NVZD-f

Øivind has given the important answer ("the camera will not take pictures if it does not find electronics attached to the lens mount") so what follows is purely academic.
Regardless:
1) I have two Mamiya 645 to Nikon F mount adapters. Thickness is correct in both (measured with a calliper)
2) They are just like the one you linked so thanks but I am fine.
3) My lens does not focus to infinity probably due to some impact received whilst shipping, I am hoping that some of the lens experts might have some time to help.
4) The improvised adapter you propose most certainly would not allow infinity focus because it comprises additional bits
5) If someone has an FT-1 to lend for a few minutes to try it is gladly accepted, but I won't rely on it because I can get by with the X-T1
6) An FT-1 would be an interesting gadget to own, but at the moment not worth the cost for me considered I have no AFS Nikkor lenses.

Looking forward to discussing what was the other project - face to face will be much better :)

I forgot to say that the 500mm is a big and heavy lens so obviously it has a big foot of its own with an Arca plate.
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 18:36:11 »
The combo I talked about is 28mm flange to flange, I just assembled it here. That is thinner than the FT-1 which is 29.4mm. The helicoid allows you to extend that further, but I guess it won't be needed anyway because all it does is focus closer. I don't know whether that 1.4mm is sufficient to make your lens reach infinity. Maybe that could be investigated by you by free-lensing. You can decide whether I should pack the improvised adapter and/or the FT-1 for you.

I don't know whether the AW1 is different, but on my V1 I can use the adapter in manual mode. No complaints from the camera. I don't know why Øivind thinks it's impossible, perhaps he can clarify. You can even shoot with an open mount on the V1, no worries.

I can make the adapter even thinner if it needs to be.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 18:38:30 »
NG has to be the only place on the web with such amazing DIY photography hardware projects.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 18:41:57 »
NG has to be the only place on the web with such amazing DIY photography hardware projects.

It's the only one I know for sure, but the world is full of geeks and nutters and I would not be surprised that somewhere else others are doing the same :)
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 18:44:28 »
The astro community is quite DIY-philic, some people build entire telescopes by themselves.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 18:46:56 »
The combo I talked about is 28mm flange to flange, I just assembled it here. That is thinner than the FT-1 which is 29.4mm. The helicoid allows you to extend that further, but I guess it won't be needed anyway because all it does is focus closer. I don't know whether that 1.4mm is sufficient to make your lens reach infinity. Maybe that could be investigated by you by free-lensing. You can decide whether I should pack the improvised adapter and/or the FT-1 for you.

I don't know whether the AW1 is different, but on my V1 I can use the adapter in manual mode. No complaints from the camera. I don't know why Øivind thinks it's impossible, perhaps he can clarify. You can even shoot with an open mount on the V1, no worries.

I can make the adapter even thinner if it needs to be.

I just made the same test that Øivind made.
An AW1 without lens on refuses to take pictures: "Check lens. Pictures can only be taken when a lens is attached".
Since the only way that the camera knows if a lens is attached is by having its contacts find something attached to them (no mechanical linkage that I can see) any adapter without electronics will be utterly useless on the AW1.  :(
Unless Bjørn says otherwise...
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 21:04:07 »
Did you set it to M?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com