Author Topic: Call of the Wild  (Read 2184 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Call of the Wild
« on: June 21, 2015, 20:08:49 »
Norwegians connect easily to Nature as we still are at a less sophisticated stage of civilisation and urbanisation compared to most fellow Europeans. This image shows how far people are willing to go in their quest for Nature.

As the custom is, there is a story underlying the capture and it goes like this;

Some years ago I led a photo workshop in the heartland of Norwegian mountains, at the Dovre Mountain Range. We were discussing alternate approaches and one of the students asked about infrared (IR), as she had observed the D200 with the 28/3.5 Nikkor I used at the time. We were on a mountain plateau pretty high up, temperature was slightly above the freezing point despite the calendar said summer and fresh snow had just decorated the ground. I told about the darkening of the sky and how the vegetation turned into brighter tones, plus the manner in which IR transforms the appearance of human skin. She, and others gathering around us, became extremely curious to see this in practice, and I called out for a nude volunteer. A middle-aged lad briskly stepped forward, dropped all his clothes, and we commenced shooting. There was a gravel hill (glacial moraine deposit) nearby that became the focal point with him running up to the crest then to celebrate his victory by jumping as high as he could. (Norwegians will know the mountain backdrop as part of Snøhætta).

We had a jolly fun time and cameras ran at maximum speed, until we suddenly heard a frenzy of clicking from cameras not our own. Turning around, we faced a group of German mountain walkers with eyes wide open of this exuberant Nordic spirit. I closed the session and allowed the model to join us to be present as camera chimping commenced. His appearance after being naked for nearly 30 minutes wouldn't have impressed any lady love that's for sure, but I gave him a clear 9 point on the 10-point Viking Scale for his stamina.

Call of the Wild

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Call of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 20:51:06 »
Nice story and picture ... and geez ... you guys are a tough bunch  :o :o :o
Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 20:56:16 »
Deep within we still are Vikings. Or so we like to believe ourselves.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:21:00 »
You Norsemen ... Hoo-Rah!
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Lance B

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:11 »
Wonderful amusing story and a good example photo. I can't help but think there is a bit of craziness hapening in Norway.  :o ;D

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:05:25 »
I have looked at this several times now - it remains helluva funny :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za