Author Topic: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm  (Read 18095 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: Useful Lenses for Close-Up Work: Nikkor-O (CRT) 55mm
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 02:33:06 »
Not really. Almost every camera lens focuses at infinity if it is in the right position with regard to the imaging medium (film, digital sensor ...). Bokeh refers to the out of focus areas. It is qualitative, therefore you don’t really minimize or maximize it. You do get more depth of field the further you are away from an object, however, the object is smaller so you don’t really gain much by doing so. A portrait with the person a half mile away is rather useless.

I’m not sure what you are saying is “ideal for portraits”. Portraits can be wonderful if they are sharp and detailed, or soft and dreamy. There is no “ideal”.

It seems you are thinking that a very small depth of field is a good thing for portraits, therefore this lens shot wide open will be good. I am not expecting that you will be all that satisfied with it. But hope you try and show what you have achieved.

It has an adjustable aperture, so both would be possible ;-)
formerly known as kds315

cqdiep

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:39 »
Sorry, I'm a newbie and not very eloquent. You're right...for portraits "I" would like a blurred background, which is achieved by close focusing instead of infinity focusing and aperture wide open. You're also right that this lens doesn't seem to fit the bill for portraits (after re-reading this blog a few times). I was not aware that these close-up lenses (without focusing rings) existed and was carried away by the F1.2 of this lens when I first saw it...my mind went immediately to portraits. However, since I got the lens essentially for free, I'll give it a try anyway, and if the portraits don't work I'll play around with close-up shots. I ordered the helicoid and adaptor ring, which will come next week. In the meanwhile, I put a FD-NEX adaptor on my Sony mirrorless, which has a big enough opening to fit the entire M39 end of the lens through. Holding the lens with my hand and moving it back/forth to get focus of my son, I took the attached shot...indoors, at night, F1.2, 1/100 sec, 800 ISO, no flash.

Not really. Almost every camera lens focuses at infinity if it is in the right position with regard to the imaging medium (film, digital sensor ...). Bokeh refers to the out of focus areas. It is qualitative, therefore you don’t really minimize or maximize it. You do get more depth of field the further you are away from an object, however, the object is smaller so you don’t really gain much by doing so. A portrait with the person a half mile away is rather useless.

I’m not sure what you are saying is “ideal for portraits”. Portraits can be wonderful if they are sharp and detailed, or soft and dreamy. There is no “ideal”.

It seems you are thinking that a very small depth of field is a good thing for portraits, therefore this lens shot wide open will be good. I am not expecting that you will be all that satisfied with it. But hope you try and show what you have achieved.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 07:52:05 »
Holding the lens with my hand and moving it back/forth to get focus of my son, I took the attached shot...indoors, at night, F1.2, 1/100 sec, 800 ISO, no flash.

Looks successful! As long as you are having fun, you are doing it right.

rafaelcasd

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear'23
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2024, 16:25:48 »
I do have the Nikkor-O CRT and appreciate the lens, I am a real aficionado but not a great photographer, here are some photos:
My photos are uploaded to Flickr at 100% resolution

NIKKOR 55MM 1.2 O CRT Z6 TEST 00 _01 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

nikkor 55mm 1.2 CRT Z6 flower bee_01_02 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

The most unique lens I have is an R-Nikkor 5cm 3.5 serial 523002, the second prototype of the first micro-Nikkor. have not seen another one, only references to it. The R-Nikkor has 8 aperture blades, the 5cm Micro 3.5 has 7 blades. I will leave the lens to the Japan Nikon museum, if they want it. Do not have a box or papers for it. The guarantee cards are for the S2 and 5cm 1.4 that came with it. I have not used this lens much yet.

R-Nikkor 5cm 3.5 micro Nikon S2  taken Rayfact mm 4_DSC9353 04 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

This article was taken with the lens, the print itself is not very sharp but the lens is

Nikon R-Nikkor 5cm 3.5 Micro at 5.6 Z7 test article 01 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

R-Nikkor is good at a distance too, but needs careful shading or it develops a hot spot, regular 5cm 3.5 Nicca shades do not work, an Ednalite shade did work but cuts a little into the corners.

R-Nikkor 5cm 3.5 Z7 test ednalite shade home 5.6 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Also have the second version of the 70mm 1:5, kind of the second lens on the progression to the Ultra-Micro Nikkors after the 5cm, it comes in the same wood box as some of the Ultra-Micros

Nikon nikkor 70mm 5 micro Z6 90mm rayfact_3 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Nikon nikkor 70mm 5 micro Z6 90mm rayfact_1 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

I find the 70mm very useful on mirrorless and very sharp at many distances including infinity, it also has great OOF

Micro-Nikkor 70mm 15 Cruising Grand august 19 2022 24 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Nikon Micro-Nikkor 70mm 5.0 Z6 Bee 12 by Rafael Batlle, on Flickr

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2024, 09:49:40 »
Thank you for sharing the lens data and wonderful images of and with the lens! Really nice sharpness and overall rendering of all the lenses.

More information on the R-Nikkor:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02992/02992.pdf

https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/koana/k20.html
Erik Lund

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2024, 14:50:51 »
Really beautiful results !   Thanks for posting !