Author Topic: Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through  (Read 76096 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2021, 10:03:08 »
A Nikon CPU has the following:

The lens ID number, exit pupil size, maximum and minimum aperture, focal length, distance calibration information, type of lens; MF/AF/AF-D/AF-I/AI-P/AF-S/AF-G/PC-E/E-Type and G-Type
I believe Birna enters all except distance calibration information.

See this post for more info:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=36.msg128#msg128
Erik Lund

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2021, 12:47:21 »
A Nikon CPU has the following:

The lens ID number, exit pupil size, maximum and minimum aperture, focal length, distance calibration information, type of lens; MF/AF/AF-D/AF-I/AI-P/AF-S/AF-G/PC-E/E-Type and G-Type
I believe Birna enters all except distance calibration information.

Thank you Erik for the added information. Would a missing information on the CPU used result in an exposure error?

For the Dandelion chips, are all these also programed into the chips? Or is just Focal length & aperture settings?

Keep shooting,
Bern

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2021, 13:43:03 »
The camera is dependent of all of these data to make an educated guess as to how the lens is performing, if data is incorrect something will be off for instance exposure or accurate focus.

For instance exit pupil is very important on wide and ultra wide angle lenses with regards to exposure calculations for the camera. Tested and confirmed especially on for instance 15mm and 16mm lenses.

Dandelion CPU's has generic data stored and only aperture values and focal length is 'programmable' via the most archaic interface seen in decades.

PS distance data is mostly used for flash photography
Erik Lund

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 14:41:36 »
I normally look only at the lens&nerd posts, so when he site came to life again i naturally did not find much new content. However, I am pleased that the site works . But am curious as to the details of why migration was necessary.

p

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2023, 14:46:52 »
Expenses running out of (our) control, that is the main reason. Plus technical issues with the hosting provider resulting in connection hiccups, time-out, and poor support.

Anyway, as your curiosity is answered it's better to get back on the topic at hand :)

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2023, 14:52:12 »
After runmamging around under headlines I rarely look at, I found your detailed and well founded reasons for change. Admiraby briefly summed up above.

p