Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Chipping a Nikkor - A Walk-through

<< < (9/11) > >>

Birna Rørslett:
I might be able to secure a new contact block for you, including the pins. Price has indeed gone up and shipping to the US will further hike the total. Replacing the original block is not difficult, but dimensions of the pins and screws are tiny so you need a steady hand, a good small JIS driver, and probably a needle-point tweezer.

If replacing the damaged block is done with care you should be able to salvage the original CPU which can sit in place during the repair. Only the signalling cable from the CPU to the contact block needs to be handled -- very carefully. I'm out of spare CPU chips, so re-using the original is crucial.

The 500 P had the first generation contact block designs, without the rear metal shield of the later model. This made it prone to damage, as witnessed by a number of requests for similar spare parts for this lens.

Bluejae:
Thanks for the reply. Would pins from another spare/broken lens possibly work? Tools for this are on hand, I already removed and reinstalled  the backing plate as well as the block to see how easily it would go when I do it for real, though I didn’t take the block apart. I’m willing to buy a block though, the lens is awesome otherwise. I can PM my shipping and work out payment. But really considering you are in a position to have a part that is in low supply, if I can repair with just pins, I’d think saving such a part for a true need elsewhere would be nice.

Erik Lund:
Yes, the original Nikon contact block pins are interchangeable/compatible.Some lenses form other manufactures have very different pin styles so can't be used.

Birna Rørslett:
Be warned that the pins from the first generation blocks (all plastic without rear metal shield) have less "give" than the later model. Thus you can use new pins on old blocks, but preferably not old pins on new blocks. Or reuse on the old blocks at all, as the contact pathway is easier broken if the contact block itself isn't seated perfectly.

Bern:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on June 23, 2020, 14:08:28 ---Be warned that the pins from the first generation blocks (all plastic without rear metal shield) have less "give" than the later model. Thus you can use new pins on old blocks, but preferably not old pins on new blocks. Or reuse on the old blocks at all, as the contact pathway is easier broken if the contact block itself isn't seated perfectly.

--- End quote ---

Birna, do you include specific lens information other than focal length & aperture when programing the cpu?

thanks
Bern

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version