Author Topic: FujiFilm X-Pro2 - Save the Wolves  (Read 4067 times)

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
FujiFilm X-Pro2 - Save the Wolves
« on: March 21, 2016, 19:25:15 »
Last week I took some photos of a political-type rally. Fairly mundane by some standards. Everyone was calm and polite with lots of smiling and nods to the local police and neighbors. Fairly nice day, too.

I'm still getting used to the X-Pro2. Lots of differences between the X-E1 and the new body. So far, my general impression is pretty positive. After going against my general policy of not getting the early release of anything (hardware or software), I impatiently pre-ordered the X-Pro2. I was gambling that the hardware would be fairly nailed down and Fuji's record of firmware updates when they're needed would fix any initial problems. And, there are always initial problems. I've worked with products using beta software for over 30 years, so it doesn't really bother me.

I've looked on as other cameras got new and improved features while I struggled with a few issues that have been dealt with. So, waiting 3 generations really does make it seem like Christmas.

AF and write speeds are great. These were my two big issues and they have been dealt with adequately. The increase in resolution really positions this product in the right place. The body is larger than my X-E1, but I'll get used to it. The finger and thumb grips on the right side give a secure feel for hand holding the camera.

These images were shot with either the 18-55 or the 55-200 lens. I used zone focusing, sometimes AF-C and sometimes AF-S, and mostly with face detection on. Auto-ISO is set to operate between 200-12,800. Shutter speed minimum was set to 1/125s. With a large group, face detection became a nuisance and I turned it off. I don't usually use zone focusing, but I was just trying it out.

The next test will be a wedding I shooting Wednesday. I feel comfortable about using this gear as: 1) I trust it, 2) it will be a good chance to learn how to use the new gear in that situation, 3) and there's no risk about the results as I'm once again doing it for free for people that are totally broke. Sigh. It's my cousin's daughter and she asked, so there's not much else to do. It is going to be very low key, so it's not like a major formal wedding. When working for free, I eat and drink cheerfully. :)

This is a great upgrade to the Fuji system for those so inclined.
Bob Fanshier

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: FujiFilm X-Pro2 - Save the Wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 20:27:15 »
Clearly the camera delivered for you. Always a good sign.

I am a little puzzled by the overall rather 'cold' rendition of these images and the tendency to a slight magenta cast on some of the faces. Were these jpgs off the camera? any Auto w/b in operation?

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 00:50:16 »
Hmmm. Could be operator error here. Maybe I wasn't as gentle as intended. Most of the images were taken under trees with mixed shadows and light. That would account for coolness in some cases.

Here's an untouched jpg produced by the camera to match one of the photos above. I believe it had the standard film simulation applied. Just reduced in size to fit here.
Bob Fanshier

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:35:00 »
This picture shows the traits I mentioned. Apparently taken in "open shade" as there are sunlit areas in the background.

Must be a w/b issue then.

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:44 »
Spring light gets tricky sometimes. This was a heavily wooded neighborhood so there was inconsistent open shade and also the sky had passing clouds. I guess we'll just have to see how things play out as I learn more about the camera and use it in more situations.
Bob Fanshier

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 23:35:23 »
Looks promising! - thanks for sharing.

How do you find the image quality compared to the X-E1? - the X-Pro2 sensor is two generations newer and one might hope for improvement e.g. colorwise.

Wrt. w/b - I seem to remember Olivier had some similar issues with his X-T1 and as far as I remember it was a camera reset that fixed it (not sure though).     

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 00:32:11 »
I don't have the qualifications or knowledge to speak specifically in detail about color. I have not really studied it very closely. Too much to learn about in the short time I've had it. My general impression is that it is OK. I need more photos taken to really get a feel. What I am confident about is some of the other qualitative features. The dynamic range, low light performance, and resolution seem improved and impressive. Yes there are numeric, qualitative values to describe these features, but I'm thinking more of the look and feel. Pretty subjective. Every aspect of the camera in both handling and operation seems faster. It gives more confidence in more situations. After a week though, I need to spend more time to really get the best feel for things.

I was going to shoot a wedding yesterday, but it was cancelled so I missed a great opportunity to really give the system a test (and me too). The weather has been pretty crappy and my wife is still recovering from surgery so I haven't gotten out as much as I'd like. Just excuses. I need to do more.

Bob Fanshier

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 03:20:42 »
Yes, save the wolves! (I have an XP2 also.)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Longhiker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:26:10 »
Gary, you'll have to share your observations as time goes on with the new camera.

Here's a shot taken with the 55-200 in available light, handheld, 10,000 ISO, f4, 1/125s.
Bob Fanshier

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 09:20:43 »
Congrats on your new camera (both you and Gary). Looks good to me and that last high iso shot looks pretty clean.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 11:57:02 »
Here's a shot taken with the 55-200 in available light, handheld, 10,000 ISO, f4, 1/125s.

10.000 looks good. Properly exposed the X100T goes up to 6400 but you are on thin ice there.

The shot looks pretty clean with slightly cool tones like I know them from the Nikon D3 Auto WB.

Nice natural expression. Lovce to shoot at 4/125!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/