Author Topic: Just Announced: IRIX 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone and Firefly  (Read 18467 times)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Just Announced: IRIX 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone and Firefly
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 09:53:17 »
I come from Switzerland and I find that definition very unsuitable. Unfortunately, we don't have much true wilderness in Switzerland. The issue becomes obvious everytime I go somewhere with less impact from mankind. But everyone's definition of 'wild' and 'nature' is different.

I am sorry - I should have put in a smiley  :)  I live just over the border, in France, but I grew up in Australia and that still dominates my feeling for "wilderness". 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 09:54:25 »
Agree, many more uses for Pola filter besides sky darkening.

Many uses for a CPL that don't involve the sky - taking the glare off rocks, foliage, etc. which works just fine on such a wide angle. 28mm?  Hardly.

Okay, thanks.  I have a PL and 20/4.0.  I'll try the combo whenever the chance arises.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 10:05:54 »
With natural density and polarization filters I have often been very disappointed on high resolution/digital cameras; I have see unpredictable: Colour cast, out of focus, fuzzy looking images and I have only been using B&W and Nikon brand filters.

Of course you should experiment ;) and yes also on wide angle images, I have used Pol filter on 14mm on DX with great success
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 20:01:24 »
I used polarizers a lot when shooting film, on digital the filter often seems to cause loss of contrast even when the lens is well shaded. Mine are all multicoated, but I suspect a lot of reflections come from the polarizing foil sandwiched inside the glass which is not coated, which interact badly with sensor or filter stack in front of the sensor.

I'm very happy using polarizers on lenses much wider than 28mm, I regularly use it on my AI 20/3.5 and I'd like to try one on my AIS 16/2.8 fisheye. My rule is this: if it improves the image use it, otherwise leave it off. Doesn't matter which lens/focal length. Sure you can get a dark band in the sky when using very wide lenses, but whether it shows depends on the angle of the sun and lens ... for example if the sun is very high the band of maximum polarization runs near the horizon all around, which is fine by me.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 20:27:32 »
With natural density and polarization filters I have often been very disappointed on high resolution/digital cameras; I have see unpredictable: Colour cast, out of focus, fuzzy looking images and I have only been using B&W and Nikon brand filters.

Of course you should experiment ;) and yes also on wide angle images, I have used Pol filter on 14mm on DX with great success

I notice a general lowering of resolution when using a CPL or ND filter, but only with my sharpest lenses.  This goes for tele and wides.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 23:12:32 »
I am sorry - I should have put in a smiley  :)  I live just over the border, in France, but I grew up in Australia and that still dominates my feeling for "wilderness".
No problem!

Does anyone know when the lens will be for sale and at what price?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 23:20:41 »
Does anyone know when the lens will be for sale and at what price?
They should be available this spring, no word on the pricing yet though.

And regarding the Firefly model, the weight is only slightly lighter but the rubber focus ring with the focus tab should make focussing with gloves on a little easier I guess.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 22:07:53 »
The Blackstone will be priced at €650 and the Firestone at €500 which is slightly above the Samyang lenses which makes sense as they have more features.

Another nice detail is that there's also a 11mm f/4 in the works which should be released BEOY.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-this-is-the-first-picture-of-the-irix-11mm-f4-0-lens-and-its-coming-for-e-mount-too/

Here's a video where some of the features are explained, prices are mentioned, etc
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 22:40:04 »
Very nice price point!
Erik Lund

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 22:42:53 »
I looked at both 15mm versions at the Photography Show in Birmingham yesterday, they seem very nicely built, and the styling for the more expensive variety is quite similar to the current Sigmas and Zeiss. Looking forward to some real-world examples.
I can't wait to see what the 11mm performs like!
John

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:34 »
Jan, thanks for the further info!  11/4.0 sounds amazing.

Considering that IRIX is a Swiss company, the "neutrino coating" may be inspired by CERN...

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:15 »
Or simply by good old fashioned pure BS?   ;D
Hugh Gunn

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 09:04:12 »
Jan, thanks for the further info!  11/4.0 sounds amazing.

Considering that IRIX is a Swiss company, the "neutrino coating" may be inspired by CERN...

It's a marketing buzzword for sure. Neutrinos are very weakly interacting. BTW, one of the most impressive neutrino detectors is Super Kamiokande under Mount Ikeno in Japan.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 10:44:18 »
Or simply by good old fashioned pure BS?   ;D

It's a marketing buzzword for sure. Neutrinos are very weakly interacting. BTW, one of the most impressive neutrino detectors is Super Kamiokande under Mount Ikeno in Japan.

For the serious physicists, Super Kamiokande could be more impressive.  But, hey, for the marketing purpose, neutrino can add some positive impression to the lens.  I would refrain from judging their marketing sense, though.   :P

bjornthun

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:30 »
"Neutrino coating" sounds only weird to me, since I've once studied physics.  :D

How does the lens deal with photons?  ;)