Author Topic: Just Announced: IRIX 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone and Firefly  (Read 18634 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Just Announced: IRIX 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone and Firefly
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 19:13:14 »
The need of the PL filter rotation window is questionable for such a wideangle.

For more practical reason, I would like a compact 20/2.8 lens that replaces Ais Nikkor 20/2.8.  No AF but with a long focus throw.
cpl is close to useless at such a wide angle. I think that this is just for show :o :o :o

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 19:18:47 »
The shift lens is the macro one while the zero d is just a regular prime. You can see a sample of it in my blog.
I know about the 15mm with the 6mm shift feature (only usable for APS-C btw), but the 12mm also corrects perspective somehow but doesn't have the shift feature. The only explanation I can come up with that the lens is permanently shifted on a most common setting.

An example, the building looks absolutely straight but maybe I'm reading too much into the zero distortion thing ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68748978@N02/24968119612/sizes/c/
Cheers,
Jan Anne

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 06:41:23 »
I know about the 15mm with the 6mm shift feature (only usable for APS-C btw), but the 12mm also corrects perspective somehow but doesn't have the shift feature. The only explanation I can come up with that the lens is permanently shifted on a most common setting.

An example, the building looks absolutely straight but maybe I'm reading too much into the zero distortion thing ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68748978@N02/24968119612/sizes/c/

not sure about being permanently shifted but i was awed by the lens  :o :o :o

the IRIX (what a name) seems promising, i just hope that they designed it to look more like an jeep than knight rider. sorry for the analogy but i just do not have the right words for it  ::)

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:59 »
The horizon is in the center, no surprise here for me. Perspective correction is only necessary when you want the horizon to be off-center.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 12:43:20 »
Distortion is not the same thing as converging verticals, and shift only corrects converging verticals.  The Laowa website talks about a shift mechanism for distortion correction but that is wrong.  In fact, the Laowa 15mm is reported to have marked distortion ( https://www.ephotozine.com/article/laowa-15mm-f-4-1-1-macro-lens-review-28598 ).

Barrel distortion and peripheral light fall-off are the Scylla and Charybdis of extreme wide angle lenses, and if one is reduced the other gets worse - a fish-eye lens has designed-in extreme barrel distortion to make light fall-off acceptable.  However, the Laowa is also reported to have a lot of light fall-off.  Large front elements mitigate peripheral light fall-off, so the IRIX with 96mm front filters might do better. 

I  am not sure about a 580g lens for hiking; it may have something to do with the fact that the definition of wilderness in Switzerland is anywhere out of earshot of a waiter.   

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 12:48:41 »
The last shot is with the 12mm,,,
Erik Lund

bjornthun

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 14:44:14 »
For Sony FE mount there will soon be the Voigtländer 15/4.5, which weighs in at 294 g compared to 520 g for the IRIX 15/2.4 lens.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 18:45:17 »
I  am not sure about a 580g lens for hiking; it may have something to do with the fact that the definition of wilderness in Switzerland is anywhere out of earshot of a waiter.
I come from Switzerland and I find that definition very unsuitable. Unfortunately, we don't have much true wilderness in Switzerland. The issue becomes obvious everytime I go somewhere with less impact from mankind. But everyone's definition of 'wild' and 'nature' is different.

Regarding the 580g lens and hiking -- I have taken heavier stuff on quite long hikes and also backpacking trips (the longest was 6 days and I had a camera and wideangle and tele zoom lenses). It is a large commitment, but it can pay off because it is when I am in the most remote places and completely immersed in the experience (something which is hard to imitate without actually doing the trip) that the most memorable shots happen. For that end, any type of weight saving without compromising quality is welcome.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 18:50:36 »
The need of the PL filter rotation window is questionable for such a wideangle.

For more practical reason, I would like a compact 20/2.8 lens that replaces Ais Nikkor 20/2.8.  No AF but with a long focus throw.

Don't agree on the PL rotation window, but do agree on the 20/2.8.  Give me a relatively compact 20/2.8 that's had some optical corrections to improve those corners and better coatings, etc. to improve its flare & ghosting performance.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 18:54:10 »
For Sony FE mount there will soon be the Voigtländer 15/4.5, which weighs in at 294 g compared to 520 g for the IRIX 15/2.4 lens.

Yep, and it's an excellent performer.  I guess the 15/2.4 is for those wide angle shots of the stars and you really want to have it along due to the weight & size.  Still, every lens has its purpose and use.

It's great to have the option to put a filter on this 15/2.4 as sometimes you need a ND filter to have a long exposure as well as a CPL when you need to take the glare off of foliage for those waterfall shots in the forest.

bjornthun

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 19:18:15 »
Yep, and it's an excellent performer.  I guess the 15/2.4 is for those wide angle shots of the stars and you really want to have it along due to the weight & size.  Still, every lens has its purpose and use.

It's great to have the option to put a filter on this 15/2.4 as sometimes you need a ND filter to have a long exposure as well as a CPL when you need to take the glare off of foliage for those waterfall shots in the forest.
Yes, f/2.8 and better is probably useful for astro, and so the performance wrt. coma in the new IRIX 15/2.4 will be of interest.

I don't do much astro myself, only some casual shots.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 19:32:22 »
Don't agree on the PL rotation window...

It is common knowledge that PL doesn't work when the angle of incident light is too oblique.  Roughly a 28mm lens is normally thought to be the widest lens with which you can use PL.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 19:43:03 »
Distortion is not the same thing as converging verticals, and shift only corrects converging verticals.  The Laowa website talks about a shift mechanism for distortion correction but that is wrong.  In fact, the Laowa 15mm is reported to have marked distortion.
Exactly, was getting up to speed on the shift feature of the 15/4 when I read about the 12/2.8 so kind of projected what they wrote about the 15/4 onto the 12/2.8 :-[

Well bummer, was really hoping for some straight trees in my wide angle startrail shots :'(

D800E with Samyang 14/2.8, Sweden 2013
Cheers,
Jan Anne

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 07:05:28 »

Agree, many more uses for Pola filter besides sky darkening.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 07:59:33 »
It is common knowledge that PL doesn't work when the angle of incident light is too oblique.  Roughly a 28mm lens is normally thought to be the widest lens with which you can use PL.
Many uses for a CPL that don't involve the sky - taking the glare off rocks, foliage, etc. which works just fine on such a wide angle. 28mm?  Hardly.