Author Topic: I AM Fuji  (Read 10221 times)

JBPhoto

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: I AM Fuji
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 00:18:59 »
My X-T1 is also 2 years old. I ventured for the primes when I took the plunge and bought the XF14mm f2.8, XF23mm f1.4, XF56mm f1.2 and the XF55-200. Looking back, I bought the camera sight unseen, and am mostly happy but have since purged the primes and replaced them with the XF16-55 f2.8 WR.

My go to cameras are still Nikon, my light travel kit is the X-T1 and the two zooms. If Nikon had gotten serious about mirrorless with a decent sized sensor, I would have passed on the Fuji.

My comments:
- small, not that light with the big 16-55 f2.8 lens but lighter than my D810 with the 24-70 f2.8.
- lens quality is very good.
- battery life sucks and the indicator goes from alive to dead in a blink of an eye.
- although I am okay with the button layout, I'd give Fuji a FAIL on implementation, very recessed buttons, too mushy, virtually no tactile click.
- I like the retro dials but again a FAIL on implementation, the Drive and meter dials move too freely under use.
- Q Menu is a disaster, after making a custom setting, the parameters are not remembered by the display once the camera is turned off and on again.

I will keep it but the honeymoon is over, it works, is capable but not IMO a Pro grade system.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 19:34:53 »
... is capable but not IMO a Pro grade system.
This is also my conclusion, for now.  A pro, or someone with pro-level skills, can make it work and get good results, but there are too many inconveniences compared to the mature SLR systems.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 19:46:28 »
I've seen many excellent captures done with the Fuji, thus the system as such has promises. But after a few trials I tend to agree with others here.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 14:42:41 »
Congrats on your purchase Sten. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the D750. I'm pretty happy with my sample.

Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2016, 14:48:35 »
I'm certain Sten will make great photos whatever camera happens to be in his hands at any time. Perhaps it's time to ponder the ramifications of that fact?

I love my Nikon Df, put exotic lenses on my 1 Nikon V1, go wet with the 1 AW nikon, anticipate the arrival of the D500, I try to come to grips with my Sony A7, shoot UV video with my Panasonic GH-2, and I just ordered a Fuji S5Pro (for emulated Infrared Ektachrome output). Thus diversity is the nature of things these days.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 15:22:00 »
If the 12/2 shares the low coma qualities of the 14/2.8 it will rock for astrophotography :)

I've got both lenses and love them both.
Yes coma is good in the 12, better than all other fast lenses I have.
In normal life operating the 14/2.8 is easier though.

I will bring both to Scotland in May so whoever uses Fuji and is interested will be able to try them.
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 15:28:40 »
the 12/2 has stellar (pun maybe intended) reviews for astrophotography indeed.

Mike: I use either a Lens Turbo II focal reducer or a empty chinese adapter purchased on Ebay for 10€ and which does its intended job.

Olivier,

I have not tried a focal length reducer - only have glassless adapters - but I am considering getting one, so that my remaining MF Nikkors will work more closely to the FOV and DOF they have on 35mm format.
The metabones seems to be the best optically - but is its very high price justified versus the Zongyi/Kipon/etc competitors?
Is there anything you can share on this, preferably first hand experience?
Simone Tomasi