Author Topic: Roadstar  (Read 3908 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Roadstar
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:41:47 »
Nice bus !!........but so unjapanese. It may be the rarest thing in Japan right now. TFS.

LOL, Mongo!  But Akihabara is the place to visit if you want to find something weird or awkward.  So, this classic automobile fits rather well with the environment.

I often go there to purchase some electronic parts and tools (it has been geeks' heaven for decades), but the area is now also anime geeks' heaven!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 05:19:58 »
Its actually great to know such an interestingly different place exists for the locals. Mongo quite likes the idea of the place/concept you have described. It sounds like, if this hot rod had to exist anywhere in Japan - it is in the right place.

PS - you can tell by the design of the exhaust system and the heads that it is a very, very early V8 motor.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 06:03:17 »
Dual carbs- some tune up in place, I think singles were the early basic standard.
-/-/-

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:05:45 »
This looks like an early Ford "flathead" V8 - approx 1937 to 1940. Those engines came out in a couple of configurations. This one had the twin Stomberg carburettors as opposed to the single carb model.

Approx 60 to 85 horsepower if engine is in standard form.

Still, Mongo would love to have it  ;D  (but this is now getting away from photography and we should return to the original subject)

Almass

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 07:27:35 »
Its actually great to know such an interestingly different place exists for the locals. Mongo quite likes the idea of the place/concept you have described. It sounds like, if this hot rod had to exist anywhere in Japan - it is in the right place.

PS - you can tell by the design of the exhaust system and the heads that it is a very, very early V8 motor.

I think you are right. We are talking about 239cc.

The nightmare is tuning the twin carbs as this has to be done by shoving a pipe to your ear to balance........

It is a cool car but a very far cry from today rods and the screaming melody of the engines.

I very much like engine music and is a factor when purchasing a car which make me avoid cars similar to Audi which sounds like a sewing machine.

You have to give it to the  American gaz guzzlers which are the best in the engine melody class and it is so nice to start your day with the silence being awaken by a V8 6300cc 450hp start up......followed by the purrrrrring of the engine at idle. Sheer delight.

Would you like to hear it?

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 08:42:21 »

Nissan Figaro

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 18:59:43 »
Beautiful car well photographed.

I once had the honour of being taken for a drive in an original Ford V8.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 13:41:53 »
Fons, how is the reputation of Nissan in Holland?

Peter, thanks!  Driving in the Ford V8 should be exciting.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 13:48:33 »
Fons, how is the reputation of Nissan in Holland?

Peter, thanks!  Driving in the Ford V8 should be exciting.

Akira i didnt know this car thought it was a vintage French car, until i read Nissan, so it supposed to be rare here.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 13:56:20 »
Akira i didnt know this car thought it was a vintage French car, until i read Nissan, so it supposed to be rare here.

I see.  Your guess was not all that wrong.  Nissan has been affiliated with Renault since 1999.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 17:13:06 »
Nice find Akira.  There are custom car companies here in California which restore and customize old cars for export primarily to Japan. They make a lot of cruisers.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 20:56:39 »
Nice find Akira.  There are custom car companies here in California which restore and customize old cars for export primarily to Japan. They make a lot of cruisers.

Thanks, Gary.  There are stable Japanese fans of old American automobiles from 1970s and older.  So, the custom car companies should be making good deals.