Author Topic: Angenieux lenses for Nikon  (Read 16006 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Angenieux lenses for Nikon
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:25:07 »
There is a paucity of information on Angenieux lenses that were made for a short time in Nikon mount.
I first became interested when I read a review in 1985 about the AF28-70mm f2.6 but the prices today are too extreme to buy on a whim. Tokina reportedly use the same formula for their 28-70s.

I did however pick up a 70-210mm f3.5 for a reasonable price whilst trawling through a camera bazaar in HKG. Angenieux come with a nice wooden padded box - mine did not have the Angenieux filter (the seller wanted quarter the price of the lens for the filter) nor paperwork (supposed to have MTF curves and a signed quality form).

I think it renders with a film like quality - not super contrasty but great with skin. It also has a limited but useful macro ability going to 1:2.5

I've included a few shots over the weekend - Sony A7II and Novoflex adapter. No exif means no idea about aperture settings but the macros were probably shot at f3.5.

Would be interested for more Angenieux shots / experiences. I also have the 180mm f2.3 also bought reasonably priced but eBay has made this lens really expensive now.

JJ

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Angenieux lenses for Nikon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:34:59 »
Kodacolor?
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 13:26:57 »
Kodacolor?

Straight out of camera. Sony pretty complicated - and I have too little time to really play with it to get white balance right. Will do when possible

JJ

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 13:48:09 »
the tokina is now considered a classic  :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 14:47:11 »
JJ, the last one looks gorgeous!  I like the noble color.

I really wanted to own the Angenieux 180/2.3...  I won't urge you, but I'd like to see some images shot with the 180/2.3.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 14:59:15 »
I used the 28-70 Angenieux many years ago. Very well built and image quality was excellent. However, had the kind of smooth rubber grip I disliked then as I do now.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 15:06:12 »
Wow, the 180/2.3 lenses are priced almost the same as second-hand AF-S 200/2.0G VR lenses on ebay!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 15:24:27 »
i wonder what caused Angenieux's bankruptcy. their cine lenses were good  :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 15:39:37 »
i wonder what caused Angenieux's bankruptcy. their cine lenses were good  :o :o :o

I didn't know Angenieux was bankrupt.  But I realized that now the brand belongs to the Thales group.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 23:48:58 »
Wow, the 180/2.3 lenses are priced almost the same as second-hand AF-S 200/2.0G VR lenses on ebay!

Akira thanks.
I'm already at work so will get 180 f2.3 photos when I get home tonight.

The problem with AF-S is that they probably won't be around in 40yrs! I've already lost AF motor on 300f4 and rough focus on 60mm micro, have a really squeaky 17-35mm (been like that 10yrs) and I really baby my lenses.

I'm losing faith rapidly on expensive AF-S glass and only hang onto Sato's AF-S 35mm and 58mm because of rendition. I'm just worried about buying the sweet 200mm when it could die any minute....

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:20:59 »
I didn't know Angenieux was bankrupt.  But I realized that now the brand belongs to the Thales group.
Angenieux has been bought and sold at least twice since the 1980's.  Making extremely expensive optics, and only optics, for a relatively small market is a precarious place to be in business.
Schneider went bankrupt in the 1980's.  They blamed it on producing complicated zoom lenses for Super-8 movie cameras --- a low-to-no profit enterprise.
Panavision, Inc. has been bought and sold many times since the 1970's.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:56 »
Angenieux has been bought and sold at least twice since the 1980's.  Making extremely expensive optics, and only optics, for a relatively small market is a precarious place to be in business.
Schneider went bankrupt in the 1980's.  They blamed it on producing complicated zoom lenses for Super-8 movie cameras --- a low-to-no profit enterprise.
Panavision, Inc. has been bought and sold many times since the 1970's.

Keith, thanks for the explanation.  That make sense.  Leica, Rollei and Hasselblad have also come through the same path...

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 05:26:27 »
I once had a 180/2.3, Canon FD mount, in my hands. Mint condition, 200€. I was stupid enough not to buy it, although it would have been useful at least mounted on an OM-D...
Airy Magnien

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 15:09:30 »
Akira
Not many great photos with Angenieux 180mm f2.3 but here are a few- probably won't get much from these:

JJ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 16:27:09 »
JJ, thanks!  The third image seems to characterize the 180/2.3 pretty well: DOP is very shallow, but the AOV is not as narrow as that of super teles.  I like the combination of the reasonably wide horizontal view (to render the environment) and shallow DOP.