Author Topic: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects  (Read 42873 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Scotland NG Gathering 2016: Projects
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2016, 04:14:31 »
The  Falkirk / Stirling area has a number of unusual architectural structures - the boat-lift, the kelpies (horse-heads) - and The Pineapple. All are worth a visit.

There is also Stirling Castle (which I don't know very well) and the Wallace Monument.

Dave, thanks for the additional info.  Antonio Gaudi would have smiled when he would have chance to see this pineapple.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2016, 10:37:23 »
I can bring a total of four walkie-talkie handsets.
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:51 »
I can bring a total of four walkie-talkie handsets.
Cool, then I'll bring mine so we can communicate over 5 cars :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14:40 »
I don't have a walkie-talkie but if you want to lend me one I will accept it gladly.

As for plans I hope to camp at the head of Loch Tay on Friday night then do the Tarmachan ridge the following morning. Check in at the lodge, rest and meet the group.
In the following days I would like to do the Ben Lawers circuit as already discussed.
Other things I am keen on are photographing Glen Etive / Buachaille Etive Mor,  Glen Coe,  Glen Nevis and beaches near Morar. The castle that Dave showed appeals too.
Obviously much will depend on the weather.
Another thing is timing. I expect the best time to shoot on the west coast will be late. I think eating an early pub dinner on site is probably the most practical option when venturing    far into the West.
I am sure that I will not fill all my bucket list; I have to go back on Wednesday.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2016, 15:34:44 »
I'll post a few images here from time to time, of some of the places around Killin which may interest participants.

This is one of the many forest trails around Killin, and starts from a car park (with sandwich bar) a few km out of the village.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 17:31:30 »
Two views of Finlarig, our local medieval castle (and very near the oft-quoted "Head of the Loch")

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 17:33:28 »
A location begging for an IR treatment ...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 18:24:19 »
A joint project. We brain storm a motif and then setup lots of different cams all with the "equivalens"
From the same perspective. I want the visual proof of my assumption that there is no equivalence because
there is no equivalens.

we should be able to get 10 different "35" setups or "50" setups
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 18:33:47 »
There will be young leaves on the trees, possibly, by early May. This changes the situation radically.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 18:39:21 »
A joint project. We brain storm a motif and then setup lots of different cams all with the "equivalens"
From the same perspective. I want the visual proof of my assumption that there is no equivalence because
there is no equivalens.

we should be able to get 10 different "35" setups or "50" setups
What is the question behind this experiment?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2016, 19:31:26 »
Simone: Is there visual proof for theoretical equivalence? Or is it just chit chat?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 19:56:29 »
The stones know the answer . . . but the stones never tell . . .

Part of the neolithic stone circle at Kinnell Farm.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2016, 20:14:30 »
Simone: Is there visual proof for theoretical equivalence? Or is it just chit chat?

Maybe... maybe yes, maybe not.
I'd leave it remain chit chat and use my time for something more exciting.
I don't get often time off from my family and using it to demonstrate some point with little consequence is not the best use I can make of this precious time.
YMMV
Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2016, 21:03:28 »
My personal take is that if you managed to fundamentally disprove (e.g. get an opposite effect or be off by orders of magnitude) the predictions of 'equivalence' (within the narrow scope it was originally intended for, and written by experts on optics), you might as well rewrite everything which has been written about optics since Newton. Most of the time people get confused because they cannot keep track of all the assumptions. Plus, any practical use of the concepts will always be only a rough approximation because you can never get the 'ceteris paribus' part exactly right unless you design all lenses and sensors from scratch to spec. Therefore I would expect very little insight from this sort of experiment. Personally, if I find myself in the situation of having to take almost the same photograph with two different formats (this rarely happens) I know what I have to do, and it works to the extent that I can actually control every variable (I usually cannot). What more do you need? We could try to do that for one shot, it would not take too long. Actually you only need one zoom lens and one camera, and the crop feature and you are set.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2016, 22:04:31 »
Is it the wheel that turns, or is it the cosmos?

The Old Mill, Killin.