Author Topic: Scotland ... Sharing Knowledge  (Read 3393 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Scotland ... Sharing Knowledge
« on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:54 »
Hi all Killin Participants.

After 33 years into taking photos nearly every day I know
some things about photography I might be able to pass on
if there is any interest.

And there are a lot of things I want to learn. For example:

Can someone
teach me in Killin how to make better use of the Nikon AF
system? I usually never shoot fast movement but when I do
the hit rate is very low. I really want to learn how to do
tracking right. How to set the camera and which technique
to apply and how to practice.

Is there someone who can teach me?

And: what do you want to teach and learn?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simsurace

• NG Member
Re: Scotland ... Sharing Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 13:59:27 »
Good idea to brainstorm potential things to exchange!

I'd like to hear from other photographers about their approaches towards a new scene, or a familiar scene they want to photograph. From conceptualization and previsualization to the final editing. What are their goals and how do they reach them. I learned a lot by observing others at work in the last NG meeting, and I expect to learn more in May. This can be left to chance or casual conversation as well as working together on a project.

What I have to offer are my own experiences in that regard. I can also share my practical experience with hard- and software related to photography. I do have a little experience regarding use of AF on moving subjects, but I don't consider myself an expert by any means.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 14:27:55 »
Frank, I would like to learn how to cook :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 15:46:58 »
Frank, I would like to learn how to cook :)
I think there will be a number of people that can teach you various cuisines :)
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 16:20:34 »
Simone, I can hardly wait to learn some Italian cuisine secrets!
The only thing that worries me are the ingredients and from what my limited knowledge tells me about these secrets is that you cannot cook properly without fresh pomidoro, zucchini, aglio, olive oil, etc. I hope you have enough space in your bag for those fresh ingredients ;)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 16:31:37 »
Jakov: Cooking is not photography related, but it has IMO a lot to do with previsualization. I can imagine taste & smell (we smell much faster and more intense than we taste) of single ingredients, of the change of taste in preparation and of the combination of several tastes plus peparation. As in photography I started as a blank and added experience. Sometime my previsualisation is misleading.

Imagine lambchops fried in Ghee with sea salt ground with Rosmary/Garlic and of fine slices of Lemon...

Got that taste?

Then replace the Lemon with fresh Peppermint and slices of Mango ... does that work?

Then replace the Rosemary with Curry and Ginger. Now take the Chops from the pan and deglaze the roast juice with coco milk and unrefined sugar. Add a tad of fine cut fresh coriander leaves. Serve. Better? Different?

I never cooked this, but I am sure it is good.

PS:

I cannot teach cooking above the very basics.
I do not even know if I can cook for you in Killin, because I do not know the facilities.
Some "Previsualisation" of the Kitchen would be most helpful. --- Pictures?

What I know is that I must not eat anything containing Wheat or Dairy products. This is because of my health condition and cannot be changed easily. I can eat every other thing in the world, except for some edible plastic like artificial sugars and benzo derivates etc. I am sure in Scotland there will be Potatoes and Lamb and Veggies and Fish. I bring my own bread for myself.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 16:47:35 »
Simone, I can hardly wait to learn some Italian cuisine secrets!
The only thing that worries me are the ingredients and from what my limited knowledge tells me about these secrets is that you cannot cook properly without fresh pomidoro, zucchini, aglio, olive oil, etc. I hope you have enough space in your bag for those fresh ingredients ;)
My cooking is inspired by many regional cuisines other than Italian, such as Indian or Thai (I like strong flavors and spices), and I try to use what's available. Being inventive and flexible is key. Extraordinary ingredients are only one component in making for a special culinary experience. Making simple but tasty everyday dishes with what's available in an average supermarket is also very valuable, I think.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 16:55:22 »
@simone: I get my inspiration from shopping for the meal. I buy the freshest, most promising ingredients and combine them in my head. Looking forward to cook together.