Author Topic: Focus Screens -- Nikon F  (Read 27512 times)

bjornthun

Re: Focus Screens -- Nikon F
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2016, 14:49:20 »
Could you quantify this in any way especially compared to say a stock screen.
It doesn't matter too much tho, I think I've resigned myself to getting a K version too .. and then switch between each type(I have the S already) as my mood takes me.

The S screen is visibly darker than stock on the D800E, especially when used with 'slow' f/2.8, or slower, lenses.
The problem is I can't quantify the amount as I need to replace the screen to view it in each situation, so no (easy) way to compare side by side.
I don't stay in regular touch with the only other (physical) person I known that has a D800 to compare side by side.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the difference between S type(a Canon screen type) and a stock screen could be as much as 2 Ev darker than a stock screen with an f/2.8 lens fitted.
I have noted before that I have a Katzeye(with Optibright) for my D300 and it was notably brighter than the stock D300 screen!
And that there is a major difference between D300+Katzeye and the D800+Stype screen. More than 2Ev.

Curious as to which DSLR that didn't display a focus square during tracking?
If Nikon, I'd have guessed that from the D300 and onwards all Nikon cameras capable of tracking also show the focus square as you track with it.
And remember the D300 is a 10 yo camera now.

D300's AF tracking is very hit and miss if the subject being tracked is not massively obvious from it's surroundings. D800 is a lot better in holding the subject.
Both those cameras DO show the AF square in use for AF tracking tho.
Arthur, this is what I have in mind: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0467323998/cp-2016-features-you-need-to-know-about-on-the-nikon-d5-d500?slide=5. The D5 can do it but not the D500.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2016, 15:36:11 »
Arthur, this is what I have in mind: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0467323998/cp-2016-features-you-need-to-know-about-on-the-nikon-d5-d500?slide=5. The D5 can do it but not the D500.

Even D7100 will show the tracking point in 3D tracking mode. I think there is a misunderstanding -- what they are likely writing about is the red light on the tracking/selected point, which only flash up on D7100 (and possibly D500), while the tracking point is still marked by the LCD overlay in the viewfinder. In 9-point mode (on D7100) only the selected point is marked.
Øivind Tøien

bjornthun

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2016, 16:12:00 »
Even D7100 will show the tracking point in 3D tracking mode. I think there is a misunderstanding -- what they are likely writing about is the red light on the tracking/selected point, which only flash up on D7100 (and possibly D500), while the tracking point is still marked by the LCD overlay in the viewfinder. In 9-point mode (on D7100) only the selected point is marked.
Maybe, it's two years since I owned a DSLR. I find the feedback from a Sony mirrorless much better.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2016, 07:37:07 »
The problem is I can't quantify the amount as I need to replace the screen to view it in each situation, so no (easy) way to compare side by side.

If you have, or can borrow/rent a spot meter, it is easy to compare the relative brightness of focusing screens.  The measured results may not completely agree with one's own visual perception, but it is an empirical measurement that's easy to make.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2016, 08:01:13 »
Or simply use another camera (typically with a small lens/sensor more similar to that of an eye) to photograph the viewfinder image in manual exposure mode on a fixed target.
Øivind Tøien

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:35 »
If you have, or can borrow/rent a spot meter, it is easy to compare the relative brightness of focusing screens.  The measured results may not completely agree with one's own visual perception, but it is an empirical measurement that's easy to make.

When I measured the difference between Katzeye modded D300 and FocusScreenDotCom(FSDC) S-type screen, I used two f/2.8 lenses and stopped them down to achieve observable parity. To help with balance, I re did the test with the lenses attached to the other respective body.
It was about 2-3Ev difference in favour of the Katzeye(Optibright) D300 combo over the S-Type.
(actually can't remember exactly, but about that difference)
The test procedure was with both cameras up to each eye in portrait orientation at the same time(ie. stereo photography style! :p) looking at the same silver covered wall covering.
I'm sure that a std D800 vf is brighter than a std D300 vf too.

In the end it doesn't matter anyhow, as I've convinced myself to try a K3 screen for myself too .. soon.

I probably have the ability to shoot through the vf with a lens of some type in my collection(using the bellows) .. but it's probably going to be a wasted effort due to the different cameras needed to do the shoot through anyhow.
I have shot through the vf with my phone.. very easy to do .. but exposure can't be forced to equalize apparent brightness.
Arthur

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 05:34:39 »
its sad that katzeye went belly up :o :o :o

some people say that optibrite has some problems with slower lenses.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2016, 07:07:08 »
its sad that katzeye went belly up :o :o :o

some people say that optibrite has some problems with slower lenses.

Darkening with f/5.6 and slower lenses.
Tried the 18-105VR lens on the D300 to check this and I can't remember that it was a 'problem' as such.
On a plain white wall zoomed in from 18mm(f/3.5) to 105mm(f/5.6) there is a bit of darkening in the vf .. but not a problem.
Still much brighter than the D800 with S-type screen tho.

If there are any other issues9eg. metering, as they say they may be) with the Optibright treatment I can't say I notice them.

500/8 definitely shows darkening tho .. but the blackout of the focus aides is still not an issue.
I've only ever seen focus aides issues from about f/11(slightly) to f/16(proper blackout) ..

Like you said .. shame about them going out of business .. and more to the point, that no one else took up the challenge to keep the screens in production!

ps. and from my understanding, they didn't go belly up in the traditional sense .. there was a human factor involved .. such as a sickness or death or something that caused the closure.

Arthur

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2016, 07:22:25 »

Perhaps focusingscreen.com could be convinced to also offer the FM-3a  B-3 screens, since they already offer the K3 screens?
Øivind Tøien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:13 »
Perhaps focusingscreen.com could be convinced to also offer the FM-3a  B-3 screens, since they already offer the K3 screens?
This is something I'd like to see.
Addendum:  I sent them such a message using their 'Contact Us' internal message form.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:34 »
Apparently they run a limited gamut of focusing screens. Sourced either from Canon or Nikon. For my Df, I had the option of several Canon screens, including the "S" all matte kind, and a few split image/microprism versions (from F6, FM-3a).

The "S" Canon screen is uniformly described as very dark, but few if any reviews say it is coarse-grained which really is the most important aspect.  Thus my choice of the K-3 was easy.

After having used the K-3 in my Df for some days, I'm in general happy with it. Matrix metering works well enough, centre-weighted is generally good although a small global adjustment improves the situation, and spot metering is more erratic no doubt due to interference with the split image and whether microprisms blacken out. For the really fast (up to f/2) lenses, spot metering can be trusted, thereafter, it's more a hit or miss affair.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2016, 20:51:49 »
I'm contemplating a focus screen in my D800 primarily for the sake of using the 35mm f/1.4 AI-s as focus can be hit and miss for me with this lens. However I use AFS f/2.8 zoom lenses as much if not more than manual focus lenses, would a focus screen such as the K-3 negatively impact using AFS lenses?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:57 »
The choice of focusing screen *should not* affect the auto focus system in any way, since the AF system resides below the main mirror, and therefore ahead of the focusing screen, in the anatomy of the [Nikon DSLR]camera.