Author Topic: Coming Head-On  (Read 4806 times)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Coming Head-On
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:54:07 »
Fortunate enough to have this beautiful specimen of a pelican come straight for Mongo. It had just taken flight from a small wetlands lake still dripping water from its body. The lake’s surrounds had wonderful colours from the flowering vegetation - some colours almost matching the pelican’s beak and face. Mongo acknowledges that this is a very tight crop with not much of the usual space around the subject but that is one of the characteristics of this image - a concentrated subject.

Mongo’s rule is to disclose everything relevant about his images. In this case, he had to reconstruct the last 30mm or so of the very tip of the wing on right of screen as it had been cropped out of frame. The pelican had just gotten a little closer than Mongo would have liked while focusing to take the image. This practice may be frowned upon by some and not by others. Mongo believes it is whatever the photographer can produce by his/her efforts as the finished product that matters (but make disclosures where need be).

D800E, AFS II 600 f4 @ f5.6, 1/1000th, ISO 500, tripod

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: Coming Head-On
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:00 »
Top notch image Mongo!  The crispness of the subject contrasting with the painting-esque background, the colors, and the birds wing stretching diagonally from corner to corner make this image truly striking!  You also did a great job of reconstructing the tip of the wing, I would not have known unless you said something.

As much as I strive to nail the image "in camera", there have certainly been times when things out of my control introduced elements to the image that I saw fit to edit out.  I have no reason to frown upon your image.  I know I do not have the skills, currently, to pull such an edit job.  Impressive!
-Tristin

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:50:32 »
I love the colors of the beak :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:09:38 »
Impressive shot Mongo.

And about your reconstruction work, you portrayed what was there and didn't alter the message, just digitally compensated for a slow trigger finger ;)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:35:43 »
Great shot, and I am impressed that you held your position with that beak heading straight at you!

Thank you for the disclosure.  The edit was a good idea.
Anthony Macaulay

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:38:12 »
Mongo thanks you all for looking in for your feedback and comments. Much appreciated

JA - Mongo is impressed with your defence strategy of arguing the slow trigger finger as a good justification....(LOL !!)

Anthony - you are right about holding ones nerve - never had a pelican play chicken with Mongo before

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 08:04:55 »
In all the years I have seen wildlife photos of pelicans, in magazines, books, TV, whathaveyou, I have never seen this angle on a pelican's head. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 10:32:29 »
Not sure what you mean by 'angle on a pelican's head' Keith. It looks quite normal in Mongo's experience.  Maybe there is a first time for everything and this is a first for you from this slightly unusual perspective. Can assure you that apart from the one wing tip, the image is entirely as shot. Thanks for your feedback/view.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 10:41:20 »
Mongo, I think Keith means he's never seen a frontal pelican shot before as most posted images are broad side.

So its a compliment for the uniqueness of the image, and I agree  ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 12:00:14 »
Big thanks JA. Mongo considered that was what Keith might have meant. Whilst Mongo agrees that a lot (if not most) pelican images seem to be taken in profile, it is not so unusual in Mongo's experience as he has taken quite a few head-on and also flying  away. Of course, the latter ones of the bird's "backside" are usually uninteresting and not keepers..... ;D.

Again, Mongo's thanks to you and Keith

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 16:36:40 »
Beautiful image!

impressive reconstruction
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 19:21:33 »
Impressive catch there, Mongo. He seems to have you in his sights!

I did not realize how big their wingspan is.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 22:27:20 »
I don't think I have ever seen a pelican from this angle either, especially in such an impressive quality.  As you say, the color contrast between light pink of the beak and green of the background enhances the beauty of the bird.

Thanks for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 23:48:03 »
thank you Armando, Mike and Akira.

Indeed, it is a deceptively very large bird. If you have ever been very close to one when it spreads its wings you will fast become aware of that. Could make your Christmas turkey look like you are serving up a plumpish quail.... ;D

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 23:50:18 »
It has all been said already. Terrific image, impressive in many ways, great framing, sound technique . . . there's no need to go on, really.