Author Topic: Companion  (Read 5199 times)

Somnath Goswami

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Companion
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 03:13:01 »
My gratitude to all you great photographers for spending time. Thanks for the encouragement and pointers. I am really touched

Regards
 :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:20 »
If this is the full frame, then the split-second decisions of composition look good to me.  Some combination of distortion correction and rotating the image might make the horizon "seem more correct".   Agree that the midtone contrasts could be heightened a bit...or maybe alot?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Somnath Goswami

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 03:39:44 »
If this is the full frame, then the split-second decisions of composition look good to me.  Some combination of distortion correction and rotating the image might make the horizon "seem more correct".   Agree that the midtone contrasts could be heightened a bit...or maybe alot?

Thanks , yes this is the full frame , or almost 95% of it. Will work on mid tone contrast and other issues as suggested.

Somnath Goswami

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 04:35:10 »
how is this?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:29:50 »
Better.  I, personally, would still,crop tighter towards the dogs.  Also, since this is in the critique section, I would have opted for a higher iso and shutter speed.  Non-blurry dogs would be well worth the negligible grain in my opinion.

In shots like this, it is easy to forget about the focus of the image.  It certainly feels like the dogs, but the beautiful environment can be tempting to lean on as well, which is what I feel happened.  The choice of settings, focal length and composition was made to enhance the environment, while merely keeping the dogs at a good spot in the frame.  If the priorities had been reversed, focusing on the dogs' interaction while keeping the environment well framed, the image would have more impact.
-Tristin

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:16 »
Somnath, it looks better.
I see you have pumped up the saturation, or have you pumped up the blacks, or you have pumped up the contrast :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Somnath Goswami

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 10:44:20 »
Thanks Tristin & Jakov

Somnath, it looks better.
I see you have pumped up the saturation, or have you pumped up the blacks, or you have pumped up the contrast :)

Pumped the contrast and played with the curve a bit  :). Also rotated a little bit . The horizon is not fully parallel even now. :-(

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 11:15:42 »
Pumped the contrast and played with the curve a bit  :). Also rotated a little bit . The horizon is not fully parallel even now. :-(

Sommath, I think you also made the horizon perfectly level.  This is good, but by doing this, you would have to trim a wee-bit of the entire fram to make it rectangle again, which cut out slightly more space.

To me, the seemingly redundant peripheral space is one of the critical elements of this pleasant image.  So, you may want to correct the horizon from the original image and just trim the edges to make it rectangle, so that you can retain the peripheral space as much as possible.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mike G

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 13:00:50 »
Sorry  I disagree with Akira, I don't think the horizon is level, also I really like the space around the dogs!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 13:03:18 »
Sorry  disagree with Akira, I don't think the horizon is level, also I really like the space around the dogs!

Mike, please try to align the horizon in the image with the edge of your computer display by scrolling this page up or down.  The second version is more perfectly leveled than the initial one.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira