Author Topic: Here is finally something interesting!  (Read 3403 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Here is finally something interesting!
« on: February 24, 2016, 15:53:35 »
I always considered Sigmas Foveon technology as something interesting. Finally they seem to have come up with something worth my money. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234172-REG/sigma_sd_quattro_h_mirrorless.html It will be interesting to see the pricetag they put on this thing. They have the lens line up already. The ISO range seem quite ok, battery life unknown, environmental sealed etc, etc. Looking forward to decent review of this "thing" (UPO-Unknown photography object) :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Here is finally something interesting!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 16:02:35 »
Yet another construction believing photographers are equipped just with an operating right hand and the left hand being chopped off as it serves no useful purpose.

bjornthun

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 16:11:39 »
That Foveon sensor could very likely be more interesting than pixel shift technology, since it's fully useable outoors with windy conditions. Sigma definitely has the lenses to support it as well.

It uses the Sigma SA mount, so in a way it's a DSLR, where the mirror and prism has been replaced with liveview and an EVF.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 16:19:41 »
Yet another construction believing photographers are equipped just with an operating right hand and the left hand being chopped off as it serves no useful purpose.
I agree. It seemslike the right hand have to be busy. But as long as its not made for photographers with ten thumbs, I'm satisfied :) If the interface is logic remains to be seen. Mr. Thun has made a good point about the usability of the foveon sensor on moving subjects. With the vertical grip mounted it also resembles a camera.

bjornthun

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 16:40:33 »
The viewfinder is placed to the right of the lens axis, maybe making the buttons on the left side on the back of the camera more accessible while holding the camera to the eye. Unlike a DSLR I expect that everything that is available on the rear LCD will also be avaiable in the viewfinder, since it's an EVF. You can then do the menu settings and chimping in the viewfinder. Nice if you are old enough to need reading glasses, like me.  :D  :o  8)

Tom Gresham

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 19:45:04 »
Re: Viewfinder on the right side . . .

Somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of people are left eye dominant.  It can be a challenge to manipulate some camera buttons and levers on the right side of the body when you are using your left eye to focus.  I don't know how the Sigma body will be, but I wonder sometimes if designers ever consider the useability of cameras when putting the left eye to the viewfinder.

Not a big deal, but not nothing.
Great photo! You must have a really good camera.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 19:54:23 »
It's actually quite a big deal :) I am left eye dominant and when I am using a leica or a rangefinder, my big and greasy nose wipes the lcd screen into a mess and makes the pictures impossible to view. A nice way to avoid chimping ;) The Sigma viewfinder protrudes the lcd by so much that my nose might not touch the screen. I didnt notice the placement on the right side of the lens. That might be a problem....
Or it might be like a rangefinder with the viewfinder on the correct side 8)