Author Topic: Photo Ninja 1.3.0 pre-release  (Read 3077 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Photo Ninja 1.3.0 pre-release
« on: February 20, 2016, 14:49:09 »
PictureCode posted the Photo Ninja 1.3.0 pre-release, major feature being "retina" screen support. Nice!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Photo Ninja 1.3.0 pre-release
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 14:43:57 »
Can someone comment on the 1.3.x update?

Is it worth the upgrade price from 1.2.5?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 16:47:14 »
Unless you use one of the camera models only being officially recognised in the new release, probably not.

Picture has a very unfavourable pricing policy. You pay for the latest versions plus 1 year of updates. Fine of course if the latest version has what you need, and/or releases are forthcoming at a steady pace. However in the last two years, progress of PhotoNinja has been very slow and one can easily await a major new version and save the pennies until this appears. If it ever is manifested.

By the way, version 1.3.0 is now the official version and 1.3.1 is the pre-release.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 17:21:21 »
If you use a retina Mac, I think you'd be happy with the upgrade.
Jørgen Ramskov

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 17:24:02 »
i am on 1.2.5 does what it supposes to do, some quirks at times.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 17:31:57 »
Interestingly, 1.3.1 now is the official version and a new 1.3.2 is available as pre-release. Here they inter alia addressed and allegedly solved the slow browsing performance when you deal with networked drives.

I keep waiting for more useful additions before I upgrade from my current 1.25. However, the slow browsing always was a nuisance and I'm glad they listened to the complaints for once.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 17:58:30 »
On my mac, I can rename the old Photo Ninja version to save it and keep it around in case the new version is not to my liking. Can you do that on your windows or linux (forget what you have) machine?

Photo Ninja is worth its weight in gold for some of the work we UV photographers do. So I happily upgrade whenever it is required. But I am absolutely desperate for Photo Ninja to give us a local brush. I've found that I cannot apply both the Detail Slider and Noise Ninja without creating some artifacts. The workaround is to make two separate TIFs and layer them in PS. But that's too much work for me-who-hates-editing.

I have not noticed any differences between the older PN versions and the new pre-release PN in the way they run on my Retina Mac. But I do not use networked drives. There's supposed to be some kind of Retina improvement.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 18:13:00 »
PhotoNinja now installs to a version-specific directory. Thus you can have several concurrent versions of it. No need for any user intervention.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 19:13:19 »
There's supposed to be some kind of Retina improvement.

it is proper Retina support. We discussed it already in the Yosemite upgrade thread: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,987.msg9459.html#msg9459

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 19:33:08 »
i am on 1.2.5 does what it supposes to do, some quirks at times.
quirks that reappear every now and then: programs closes all of sudden; a message appears file is open in another window; white balance or rendering is completely wrong

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 19:43:02 »
I occasionally get the two first of these bugs myself. I suspect some of the crashes might be caused by a perceived lack of disk space under some operations?

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 20:12:23 »
I occasionally get the two first of these bugs myself. I suspect some of the crashes might be caused by a perceived lack of disk space under some operations?

it helps closing down all programs for instance photoshop, file browsers, and clear caches, or restart the program itself

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 10:25:09 »
Just downloaded the latest 1.32.b pre-release and noticed that Picturecode's claim that browsing networked drives over gigabit connections is almost indistinguishable from working with local drives indeed is manifested. This has been one of the Achilles' heels of Photoninja (PN) as long back as I can remember. As I rely on distributed computing and storage in my work flow, the glacial slowness of earlier PN versions has been a challenge on several levels.

However, due to their expensive and stupid one-year-only  update policy, I will not upgrade until PN actively supports the new D500 and D5. Meanwhile if my patience with the slow browsing is taxed, I now have the evidence that at last a solution can be found.