Author Topic: Nowhere, Anywhere, Anytime [IR Nude]  (Read 2331 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Nowhere, Anywhere, Anytime [IR Nude]
« on: June 20, 2015, 13:40:33 »
This actually arose as part of an experiment conducted with my then fashionable Nikon D1X in the "ancient" dawn of digital (2002), to learn whether it would record in infrared. It did, sort of, and delivered several enjoyable images.

The portrait of my girl friend has been a favourite for a long time. It also has caused me a lot of grief and moral consternation to document that visual messages hardly escape censorship and misapprehension no matter how innocent they might be. In fact, the attacks and attempts to prevent this image being shown on the web directly caused the exodus from a certain Nikon-based site to subsequently give the formation of the old Nikongear site, many years ago. Thus the image has at the very least historical merits as a catalyst in shaping web communities.

Sea-bathing in the nude is common in my country during the precious and hectic summer months and few natives would bat an eye lid over such a scene.

i have kept the colour balance close to what the D1X delivered straight off the camera. These days I would have approached the colour scheme differently, or maybe not. It is hard to deny the passage of time and how it impacts your own visual perceptions and preferences.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Nowhere, Anywhere, Anytime [IR Nude]
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 23:02:38 »
Well, publish a few more of those and see what happens when you next request a visa to Iran, or ... the US ?
The "trial me" software by Amnesty was an interesting experiment by the way. Maybe some police states have a fully functional version.
I also noticed that google image search would systematically mis-interpret nude pics, effectively demonstrating that it recognizes these with high certainty. So if you publish in your own name (as on this site that bans anonymity), you are sure to end up in the "potential sexual offenders" category of some police file cabinets. "Profiling" is the favourite activity of these bayesian internet cops.

Encrypted, private social networks could be a way out - see for instance minds.com - the lesser evil ?

But back to the subject - the framing, (false) colours and the title are well matched.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 23:09:40 »
I do know I'm registered in certain archives, so not too bothered.

My score on US visa stands 1-1 so there is hope if I would wish to go there.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 17:01:35 »
What has really intrigued me by this very interesting image, is IR conversion. I have an Oly OEM1 and a Canon 1DSMKII which are presently collecting dust. Maybe an IR conversion could bring one of them back from the dead ... 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.