Author Topic: Another night, another show.  (Read 2978 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Another night, another show.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 23:45:04 »
Very nice, but watch those mics in the face (#3). The image of Greg Wilkinson is classically clean. On #4 I'd take a little off the top and burn in the OOF guy so it is just her, the mic, the light and the music.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 02:05:23 »
Yeah, mics in the face can be really hard to avoid sometimes.  Especially with drummers who sing, as they can be difficult to get clear shots of without a mic worry about.  I try my best but still have plenty of killer shots that were utterly ruined by mics in front of faces.  :-\

As for the last comment, I agree personally.  The reason I tend to include band members that aren't the focus in the shot, is I largely take these shots so the bands themselves have decent images of themselves.  Most players (on instruments) do not make good subjects as they are usually very static and I do want them to be in the images somehow when possible.  Otherwise I just end up with pictures of singers, with no band being conveyed.  Same reason I always try to get a picture of the drummer, they are almost never pictured.  Most players will tell you it's a bummer that the vocalist gets all the attention.  They don't realize it is because the singer is typically the one that isn't boring to watch, but that is a different topic.
-Tristin

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 02:26:31 »
I agree that usually the singers are the most animated.  For drummers and such, I like using a slow shutter to add some action blur/drama.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 13:07:18 »
Looks like I've missed this when it was posted. Glad that it came up again, great stage shots!
Especially #1&3

I probably would have converted #2 to BW, but that is just me being hooked to BW for concerts.

While I like the pose of the last one, I miss the eyes too much. But then, there are musicians where you never seen them....

Yeah, mics in the face can be really hard to avoid sometimes.  Especially with drummers who sing, as they can be difficult to get clear shots of without a mic worry about.  I try my best but still have plenty of killer shots that were utterly ruined by mics in front of faces.  :-\
Amen!

As for the last comment, I agree personally.  The reason I tend to include band members that aren't the focus in the shot, is I largely take these shots so the bands themselves have decent images of themselves.  Most players (on instruments) do not make good subjects as they are usually very static and I do want them to be in the images somehow when possible.  Otherwise I just end up with pictures of singers, with no band being conveyed.  Same reason I always try to get a picture of the drummer, they are almost never pictured.  Most players will tell you it's a bummer that the vocalist gets all the attention.  They don't realize it is because the singer is typically the one that isn't boring to watch, but that is a different topic.
So very true.
Especially bass players tend to be like statues.

One of the reasons I shot in continuous and take loads of shots during concerts is that some musicians move only a little, but when checked in the resulting images often have quite distinct expressions, some of which are more favorable than others.

cheers
afx

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 18:03:41 »
Afx, Ch is always on when I do live music.  Indeed a big help.  I also consider having a few drinks and headbanging key to getting the good shots.   ::)  When you get into the music, you can tell when things are going to peak ahead of time.   ;)
-Tristin

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 19:44:32 »
Terrific images, great skill to capture them !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 20:07:39 »
Great series, Tristin !

All of them are fabulous with a preference for the bearded bassist...

Did you use this 105mm f/1.8 you serviced ? ;D
Francis Devrainne

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 21:25:09 »
Francis, same lens but before it required service.
-Tristin