Author Topic: Transplanting TC14E-III Optics Into A TC14-II Body . .  (Read 6488 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Transplanting TC14E-III Optics Into A TC14-II Body . .
« on: February 14, 2016, 17:37:24 »
For those of us with "old" non-G Nikkors that have aperture rings, the new TC14E-III is not very compatible with our lenses.
Thus has any enterprising soul tried to transplant the optical cell from the -III version into the -II version (or the TC14B for that matter) in order to gain the optical goodness in a TC body that's compatible with our great older lenses?

I know there would be some significant tinkering and you'd have to get the axial position of the optics just right, but with careful measurements before tearing things down I would think it possible to be done.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Transplanting TC14E-III Optics Into A TC14-II Body . .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 18:21:53 »
There's not much a difference between TC14vII and vIII, IQ wise.
And the previous TC version is easily converted to accept all lenses, caution should be taken to some lenses that protrude the rear elements more than expected.

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 18:33:00 »
There's not much a difference between TC14vII and vIII, IQ wise.
And the previous TC version is easily converted to accept all lenses, caution should be taken to some lenses that protrude the rear elements more than expected.
Some people say there is a significant difference, depending on the lens, especially off-center.  The off-center part is what I'm interested in for long distance landscapes with my tele lenses.

Can you even mount an AI or AIS lens on this TC (assuming you file off the small mount tab like on the -II version) and not have the lens indexing tab jam on the TC lens mount?

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 18:45:25 »
Some people say there is a significant difference, depending on the lens, especially off-center.  The off-center part is what I'm interested in for long distance landscapes with my tele lenses.

Never used TCs for landscape, only for birds, so only the center is of interest for me. Other usages can't comment.

Can you even mount an AI or AIS lens on this TC (assuming you file off the small mount tab like on the -II version) and not have the lens indexing tab jam on the TC lens mount?

To my knowledge yes.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 00:20:25 »

I never found edge resolution to be a problem with my two 300mm versions, AF 300mm f/4 (non-D), AFS 300mm f/4 E PF, with or without TC14E (I). The TC seems to introduce or enlarge effect of spherical aberrations just a little, but that is it. Then of course I am on a DX sensor, so it is hard to say how it would be on FX.
Øivind Tøien

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 00:39:31 »
Unfortunately with such things, it's hard to know how good the TC14EIII would be with a specific lens until you've modified it and there's no going back, unless it will in fact mount an AI or AI-S lens as is with just the mounting tab removal.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 00:45:52 »
There is too little IQ difference to even start to think of this project, besides they are not the same length, and length matters a lot for a TC...
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 00:49:25 »
Although I have shorted a TC-14B to fit the Enigma project,,, But that's another story ;)
Link to the old site
http://www.fotozones.com/live/index.php/topic/48368-lord-of-the-rings-a-progress-report/?p=388922
Erik Lund

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 00:52:57 »
There is too little IQ difference to even start to think of this project, besides they are not the same length, and length matters a lot for a TC...

You are saying that the flange distances are different?

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:48:40 »
First, Mongo has not noticed a great deal of difference between the two converters - although , it may depend upon the lens you use it with.

Secondly, the two converters are different lengths (the III version being shorter than the II). In theory, you would have to transplant the version III optics together as a combined group with perfectly exact distance from element to element as in the version III itself. Even if this were possible, you then have to try and get the rear element of the converter to be in a position ( in its new body) from the sensor that is exactly equal to the distance it would been in its original casing from the sensor AND at the same time, have the front element of the transplanted elements group the same distance from the rear element of any lens that would be fitted to that which it would have been in the original series III converter. Mongo cannot see how this is practicably possible becuase the body length of the converters is quite different. Therefore , Mongo thinks it is not technically possible and maintain the ability to focus the lens at all distances to the subject.

Mongo would love to know what NG's lens doctor thinks about this.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 20:21:19 »
Both are 24.5mm from front to rear mount so a transplant is theoretically possible (or the specs in my database are wrong...)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 20:42:17 »
When I measure I get 24.75mm is the TC14E Mark I
Erik Lund

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 21:25:36 »
Mongo's previous view was on the basis that the converters are different lengths from front to rear mounts. If they are the same, then, it is theoretically possible to do this.

Mongo must say that when using them, he got the impression they are different lengths but admits he has not actually measured them.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 21:33:36 »
Is 0.15mm significant? The focus system will easily compensate for the slight difference in extension. These TCs are designed to fit multiple lenses, I find it hard to believe they all need the same precise camera - TC - lens spacing to work perfectly...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 21:39:27 »
Well, as any hard-core lens modder can tell you, while 0.15 mm might not appear to be much, it is also many times larger than any factory tolerance of the flange distance. So is bound to generate troubles.