Author Topic: Is there a future for DSLR?  (Read 25272 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Is there a future for DSLR?
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 11:22:38 »
We need to worry about the future, is that what you really are saying?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:33 »
Worrying doesn't solve anything, I am just glad that we resurrected NG so your generation can transfer all their knowledge to those of the newer generations still willing to learn and hopefully a little the other way around  ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 13:33:57 »
I am not sure the new generation cares all that much....

I don't think this is a generational issue. Young adults are busy with studies, work, and family/relationships. They get more time for discussions of their free-time pursuits later in life.  Also in their 20s and 30s most people don't have the money to put into gear that might enable them to pursue technical sides of photography, for the same reason they don't have time. ;-)

For professional photographers, quite a lot of them in my experience have their primary focus on the subject and business side, and the camera is just one gadget that is part of the process but not a particularly central part. However, this depends greatly on which type of photography is pursued - e.g. studio/portrait/fashion photographers do not need a camera that is particularly special in features or performance but they need to be able to manage the subject and light them expertly (or have someone else do it for them, in a few unusual cases). In this case I think the people skills are the majority of the recipe for a successful result. However, for sports or wildlife photography,  people skills are not as mandatory and skills with the camera do matter.  Or, for example, in macro work technical skills as well as finding the subject, and having the ability to imagine the photograph are of key importance.

I do not think technical expertise is evaporating but the field of photography is expanding and includes a lot of people who are not particularly interested in cameras or lenses, but they may have other things to contribute (artistic vision,  people skills and post-processing skills). I personally would like to achieve as much as possible before and during the capture, and minimize my post work simply because I don't particularly enjoy the latter, but I know others who achieve miraculous things in post-processing.  But in the end it is the outcome that matters, not so much the tools that get you there. I seem to be naturally interested in technology and tools  - maybe it's a genetic defect   - but at work I don't for a second lose sight of the purpose of the research that we're doing  - there is no time for that, if we want to achieve our aims.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2016, 15:33:37 »
The lagging of real-time events is improved, but still has a way to go.
I think that's the toughest issue to solve in regards to EVF's and probably what annoyed me the most when I owned a X-T1. The other issues can no doubt be fixed and at least some of them will become better than OVF's eventually. But some kind of the lag will always be there I believe? The question is whether they can get it so low it's not really noticeable?
Jørgen Ramskov

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2016, 16:18:16 »
One thing I feel that gets frequently overlooked in the debate about the future of DSLRs (read OVF) and Mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses (hopefully with some form of eye level view finder) is of course the humble eye level view finder itself.

Without debating the relative merits or otherwise of OVFs and EVFs, there will be an ongoing place for cameras with eye level viewfinders. 

From the first Leicas and Contaxs, the first film SLRs, then DSLRs, and now mirrorless cameras there is a consistent camera body form that has evolved over nearly 100 years and that many camera bodies today that embody this lineage & form factor, which I do think will continue irrespective of whether there is an OVF, EVF, or hybrid optical/electronic technology inside the viewfinder.

I do however admit to a strong personal dislike of screen only cameras without an eye level viewfinder - the camera holding and viewing mechanics are all wrong with these accountant friendly monstrosities.  (OK,  I do accept 4x5s, 8x10s  etc, as they are tripod oriented beasts - but they are in another world.)

End of rant - just my 0.02c worth.  ;D
Hugh Gunn

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2016, 16:29:34 »
I entirely agree with you, Hugh, but in reality a very large number of people prefer to use the rear LCD.  I sometimes want to go up to them and say, try the eye level viewfinder, you will be so much more stable.  I suppose some people just find it easier to compose with a bigger frame held away from the face.
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2016, 16:40:44 »
One day they'll find their eyesight has deteriorated to the extent that the arms aren't long enough ... Either the end of their photography, or use the finder with a proper dioptre installed.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2016, 16:54:36 »
I just do not see all that much difference between DSLR and Mirrorless systems.
One system is missing a mirror and has TV viewfinder.
One system has a mirror and a Reality viewfinder.
Both systems require lenses & settings.
So what is the big deal???  :P
You simply pick the system which works best for your particular shooting needs.

The actual game-changing innovation was the Cellphone camera. Simply brilliant!! I use mine constantly. And the photos are as good as anything I got off my Coolpix 990 and D100 back in the early days.

On a recent trip back home I noted that in my own family everyone just grabs for their Cellcam and snaps away when the usual family photo is called for of grand-kids, group events, visitors, etc. Including me, the current owner of about 7 camera bodies (mix of DSLR & Mirrorless). Nobody even uses a little compact camera anymore. They don't want to mess about with cards and inability to transmit instantly. I GET THAT !!!!  ;D

DSLR vs. Mirrorless is not an issue.
Interchangeable lens systems versus Cellcam is the real divide.
IMHO. YMMV. And all the usual disclaimers.  8)

FWIW, here in the US there is still a very heavy preference for DSLRs. I couldn't tell you why. I just was at 3 of our national parks. Anyone seen shooting "seriously" - that is, not using a Cellcam - had either a Canon or a Nikon DSLR. I saw one Oly EMD type. No Sony. No compacts at all. Granted, this was a very informal observation because I was a bit busy with my own work.

I commend everyone for their most excellent discussion in this thread. These kinds of threads can veer off course. I LOVE NikonGear for being so cool !!!